We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers cheques

wirral
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers cheques

hi this is our second time going to Thailand and feel traveller's cheques is the easiest method of carrying cash , where is the best place to cash these, (sorry staying at Patong). any help or suggestions would be most helpful. x

Mentioned in this post
At Patong Hotel
At Patong Hotel
55 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers cheques

You can exchange travellers cheques at any cash exchange booth or bank.

Don't forget to take your passport for compulsory ID check :-)

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers cheques

also take your hotel room key (i had too)

Patong
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers cheques

Why not use an ATM card?

Better rate. Easier access - there are ATMs by the thousands in Phuket.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers cheques

You will get the best exchange rates for your travellers cheques outside of your hotel.

If you have not already done so please read the FAQ - Currency Options at the top RHS of the Patong Forum.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers cheques

The "room key" sounds like an odd request by the exchange facility Andy... Especially with hotels encouraging guests to leave their key at reception when going out.

Was it in lieu of ID or in addition?

wirral
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers cheques

Thankyou all for your helpful tips xx

perth
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers cheques

3.yesterday by KhunWoody

Why not use an ATM card?

Why would you use an ATM card?...with the 150bt withdrawal fee plus your own banks transaction fee, you dont get much baht for the $. I'd only use one in a emergency.

Unless your talking about a Thai bank ATM card? then yes thats the best way to go.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travellers cheques

I know we are a bit old fashioned but my wife and I take a mix of cash and travellers cheques and the credit card if we really need it. You can cash at any one of dozens of money change booths. I always worry that if I rely on an ATM card and the machine swallows it we might get stuck without cash. Unlikely?........yeah probably but like I said I'm old school. There is a charge for cashing T/Cheques but I don't think it's any more than the ATM charges.

wirral
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travellers cheques

Hi Magpie , am a bit like you worry about my card getting swallowed stolen etc so at least with travellers cheques shoukd the worst happen at least they get replaced, like you we are taking a little bit of currency and a credit card for back ups x

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travellers cheques

hi 4b i think they wanted to look at the key fob to see which hotel l i was staying at

Get answers to your questions about Patong