We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

temples

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
temples

Hi All,

Only 16 more days before we are in Phuket YAY !!!!!

I was told when you visit temples you must have your shoulders and knees covered, i also heard you need to wear closed in shoes, is this right?? I thought it was a no shoe poilcy in homes or temples - Im a little confused so any info please would be fantastic !

Kim

Queensland
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: temples

Hi

Can confirm that your shoulders need to be covered (at the Big Buddha they have 'shawls' available) when entering the temples. Easy solution is to throw a sarong in your bag if you plan on wearing singlet shirts, etc. Can't confirm about knees (I was wearing 3/4 pants). As for shoes - yes, you take them off at the temples (at least the ones we visited) and yes in the homes. There are even a lot of shops - massage places; tattooists; etc where it is 'custom' (etiquette) to remove your shoes.

Enjoy your holiday/

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: temples

There is some helpful info on this webpage:

thailandforvisitors.com/general/templetikit.…

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: temples

If you are considering going to a temple, i suggest go with a Thai friend (you will make some) who can show you how it all works, get a blessing etc. The services are in the mornings, and the big days are Buddha Day, which coincides with a full moon. Take some small money for the various donation boxes on offer (up to you)

The temples are very relaxed, especially Kamala and Patong by the soccer ground. People are coming and going, mobile phones ringing, motorbikes coming in and out of the grounds, beggers begging etc.

Also, check what day you are born (not the date). I's important to Buddhist, as there is a diferent statue for each day. Mines Tuesday, the reclining Buddha (go figure).

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: temples

hi kimmie

we have been a few times to various temples in Phuket and Bangkok, you have to cover up shoulders and legs so as suggested take a sarong or two with you, in Wat Chalong there is a guy there that hands out sarongs to cover up, to borrow while you are in there,and a small donation is required, my daughter had to borrow 2, one for top and one for bottom, or wear a long skirt or summer dress and cover your shoulders while you are in there with a sorong or shirt or something, shoes are left outside but move quickly the ground is very hot!

and use your loose change for donation boxes

if you hear any loud bangs don't panick its just their fireworks they fire off in an enclosed space, it scares off evil spirits

great temples at Wat Chalong, amazing work in them

have a great holiday, lucky you not long now, we have to wait until Sept :)

5. Re: temples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 13, 2010