We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

If you have been to PhiPhi or Phnag Nga you will be in a good position to give advice, or even if you just did one of these. We are a 43 and 23 yr old mother and son.

Or if you have a few mintues to check the links, would love your thoughts....

PhiPhi Ilsand http://www.simbaseatrips.com/phiphi.htm

or

Phang Nga http://www.simbaseatrips.com/phiphi.htm

Both are 3000bht.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

hi Sky

they are both great day tours, we have done both and enjoyed them both, Phi Phi we liked the most but when we done Phang Nga we done James Bond island tour which was nice but James Bond island wasn"t much just a tiny little island with the famous rock(which is very nice) but we were only there for about 30 min and moved on, lunch on the little village in the sea was good, however if you do Phang Nga that includes the sea canoeing then yes a fantastic tour, if you have time do both otherwise its pretty much choice of what you want to do

Phi Phi snorkeling, monkey island, great beaches and more laid back relaxing day

Phang Nga including sea canoeing in caves fantastic scenery and more adventurous

Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

Hi Sky,

My husband and I did both day trips with Simba back in April 2008 and loved them both. We couldn't decide either which one to do and am glad we ended up doing them both.So if you can afford to do both of them then go for it!

If I had to choose I would probably say I liked Phi Phi more, but if my husband had to choose he would say Phang Nga so it really is personal choice. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you won't be disappointed:-)

Cheers,

Sheridan.

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

Hi Sky

I did both trips with Simba in April 2009. Both were really different, you do more snorkling on the Phi Phi trip,my husbands favorite but see more on the Phang Nga. I would do both again if we went back as it was money well spent, it was the highlight of our trip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

LOL, well you guys are not helping :)

Seriously though, its great to know that both are fabulous. I was tending towards PhiPhi because the caves don't do much for me, plus I can get slightly claustrophic and caves are not good that way for me..... but I really like the thought of the floating village (on stilts) on the Phang Nga trip. was that really good...interesting?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

hi sky

if your not doing the canoeing, and it doesnt appeal to everyone (my daughter in law wont have a bar of it) then maybe lean toward the Phi phi trip

the little village is quite interesting and we had a nice lunch there, we were only there for about an hour and half, few little market stalls, had a photo with a big eagle, proper toilets ha ha, (sir phill would be happy about that) was better than being on actual James Bond island, which would have been better if James Bond was there!

but the james bond island tour in my opinion isn't as good as Phi Phi

if that helps, now you will get a different opinion LOL :)

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

Phangnga Bay is stunning. I hear everyone talking about James Bond island but that is a small stop on a small island amid a bay of immense beauty with hundreds of much nicer islands. IMO its a must see.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

hi sky

yes i agree with Monica the scenery aroung Phang nga is amazing and James Bond island only being one small island among many, and if you can get a tour to see all of this and the kho panyi village without doing the caves and canoeing(which you dont want) then go,

the Simba tours sure look really good, we will have to try them ourselves this time, went with some other tour company before which was also good but Simba looks like they cover a lot more ground

we are going to Khao Lak this year so will do Phang nga bay from there

Edited: 5:24 am, March 07, 2010
Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
746 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

Hi Sky I can only help with an opinion on Phang Nga Bay, we did this with Simba in January this year. The Simba crew are fantastic & you won't be disappointed, yes there are cheaper tours around but IMO it is worth every cent you pay with Simba! . The scenery was spectacular, the caves were well worth a visit and the sea kayaking was brilliant (and you don't have to paddle).

The smorgasboard lunch at the village was one of the best meals we ate in Thailand and it was very interesting to see. You get to see a lot in the day & it was very relaxing as well. We only had a quick stop at James Bond Island (took "the" photo) and headed off again.

Neither of you will be disappointed, I guess if snorkeling is a must do then choose Phi Phi as there is no snorkeling opportunity on the Phang Nga Bay trip. We wanted to book for Phi Phi after our wonderful day out with Simba but unfortunately they were booked out.

Cheers

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

We did Phi Phi as a dive trip - it was magnificent.

We were supposed to do the James Bond/canoeing trip with Simba but ran out of time.

I am not sure if you question is because of time or the price of the two trips.

There is a very cheap trip to James Bond Island for I think 600 Bht. Nothing like Simba's trip. You go by bus in the afternoon up to Phangnga, visit the reclining budda, and i think monkeys, then take a long tail boat out to the bay. They arrive late in the afternoon after most boats have left, not sure inthey visit the sea gypsy village stay till sunset then back to the mainland and bus back to Phuket. We were going to do it from Nai Yang but we lost the phone number!! Not sure of the name, something like Sam's Tours, but there were brochures at our hotel in Kata and at in Nai Yang.

Whatever you decide I am sure you will have a great trip

Mari

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip: Phi Phi or Phang Nga

hi

what about the sunset dinner cruise on June Bahtra around Phang nga bay anyone tried that? we thinking of doing it, its junk ship with the sails

they also do a full daytime cruise around phang nga to see all the scenery (but without having to canoe) stop at James Bond island and kho panyi sea gypsy village, couple of other things and stop at a nice beach or island for swimming in the afternoon, sounds nice and relaxing