We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long tail or Speed Boat to Phi Phi

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Long tail or Speed Boat to Phi Phi

Hi,

We took a speed boat tout to Phi Phi in 08 wich was great but gee the crowds were horrible. Would love to know how much a longtail costs ora speed boat hire, where to get them, do we have to get a driver from Patong and are we able to go to Maya Bay early before all of the the crowds rock in........we'll be back in June 2010

Coffs Harbour
Level Contributor
267 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long tail or Speed Boat to Phi Phi

If you hire a speed boat to yourself it will cost you upwards of $250+ , You can easily reduce that to around $30 a head by joining a tour and travelling with other people. There are tour desks every where in Phuket just shop around when your there. They will pick you up and return you to your hotel, they also provide snorkelling gear and lunch on Phi Phi.

The only time to avoid masses of tourists at Maya Bay is probably at night time. Its always busy. The earlier you get there the less the crowd. Last time I went was very early morning and we were still queing for a mooring space.

Alternately you can catch the morning ferry and return late afternoon for about $5.

There are many more beautiful islands In Phang Nga Bay that are totally isolated and better for snorkelling etc. Ask them at the tour desk, I wouldn't bother with Maya Bay again.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long tail or Speed Boat to Phi Phi

I heard the simba speed boats trips have a max of 14 people and are much better. Google simba sea trips. I'm going to be giving them serious thought, but I just don't know which trip to take yet.

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
886 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long tail or Speed Boat to Phi Phi

Keep in mind that June can have some rough weather.

These speed boats have been known to sink when the waves are too big or they are overloaded.

Long tails too.

I would watch the waves and consider taking the ferry if you see whitecaps.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long tail or Speed Boat to Phi Phi

What about August? I guess that could be rough too huh?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long tail or Speed Boat to Phi Phi

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think your right Pathologic, we might look for an alternative day trip and avoid the crowds.

6. Re: Long tail or Speed Boat to Phi Phi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 04, 2010