We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back Feb 2010 - some observations

Sunderland
Level Contributor
417 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back Feb 2010 - some observations

Hello all

Thanks again to everyone who posts on here - always some great advice to be had.

Just got back on Thursday from 4 nights in KL followed by 8 nights in Patong at the Mercure. This is the second time I have stayed there, and I think it is great value for money in a great location.

A few observations that may rock the foundations of this forum. They all seem to point to the fact that actually very few people read a forum like this and prefer to go on their holidays having done very little research - incredible!

1. The tuk tuk drivers seemed to be doing a roaring trade. Yes - plenty lined up looking for fares, but hundreds dashing all over full to the brim.

2. The jet ski guys on Patong Beach also doing a roaring trade. My view from a shaded lounger indicated a steady flow of people coming and going - none of whom appeared to have anything other than a great time.

3. And this is by far the scariest of all.......brace yourselves.......sit down......have a stiff drink to hand......No-one I spoke to had ever heard of Cathy and Gary!!!! I swear this to be true.

Prices seemed to be pretty much as last year......Singha ranging from 50b to 120b depending on the swishness of the bar. Thai food still great and cheap. Cocktails 150b or so. Loungers on the beach 200b for 2 (sometimes 200b for one for the unfortunate single traveller I observed).

Tips? Get out and about. Hire a car - get to some other beaches. This was my fourth time in Patong and have hired a car each time. This time got to Paradise Beach, Surin Beach, Kata, up in the hills for great meals and views...etc. If from the UK, don't change your money in the UK, get it in Patong. We got 48b to the pound in UK - nearly 52 in Patong. Money booths everywhere.

Happy to give any other advice anyone needs.

Thanks all.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Just Back Feb 2010 - some observations

We are going to Phuket in October. We are tossing up between staying at the Coral beach, Novotel or Mercure. We like to laze our days around the pool and require shade. The Mercure is defitinitely cheaper but I am worried about shade and getting a sun lounger. I hate it when all the sun loungers are gone before you even get to the pool. Will this be a problem at the Mercure?

Thanks

Sunderland
Level Contributor
417 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Just Back Feb 2010 - some observations

Linda

The pool at the Mercure isn't huge, but its nice - swim up bar etc. Also not a huge amount of loungers but we generally found that there were usually some available. The pool is usually about two thirds in shade, one third in sun. Pot luck where the available beds are.

If you need to sunbathe there is another small pool on the roof and areas - with beds - up there to sunbathe. However, there is no shade there and it can be baking!

victoria
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Just Back Feb 2010 - some observations

Hi. We have stayed at Mercure before and I personally found it the nicest place we have stayed in Patong. Our rooms at the time were serviced at least once a day, staff were fun and friendly, the meals were great. We actually ate there about 4 times for evening meals and the meals were beautiful. I also find people interact a bit more in boutique style hotels. Not many kids around which is also good when the pools are not huge. We will stay there again.

Francesca

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Just Back Feb 2010 - some observations

Thanks Mick and Francesca

Selinsgrove...
Level Contributor
323 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Just Back Feb 2010 - some observations

Thanks! Nice observations ... but I am not buying your Cathy and Gary nonsense.

;) Timm

Poole
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
36. Re: Just Back Feb 2010 - some observations

Good advice. Going to Thailand for the first time. 2 nights in Bangkok and then Patong for 10 nights. Can you recommend any trips i.e. Phi Phi on speedboat, James Bond Island etc and who are safe to book with. Thanks

37. Re: Just Back Feb 2010 - some observations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, September 21, 2010