We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Patong??

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
13 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Patong??

Myself and 4 other girl friends (in our mid forties) are travelling to Phuket in May and looking for a classy but fun place to stay. We would like somewhere which has nice pools, swim up bar and day spa, is also close to beach, shopping, restaurants/nightlife. Don't particularly want to be where all the honeymooners go or where all the kids are. Any suggestions?

melbourne
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in Patong??

Can you get classy but fun in Patong ?

I'd say Holiday Inn, but you run a big risk of lots of families. Duangjitt ticks most of the boxes, but only if you stay in the better class of room eg a suite, which are affordable in May. Do not stay in a cheap room. Beautiful day spa and grounds, but you wont use the spa because it's way too expensive compared to places out in the street. Maybe if 5 went you could try for a discount. It's not far from Otop market shopping or the beach, maybe 500 metres. A little walk to Jungceylon and Bangla, but no trouble for cougar's like yourselves. Downsides are breakfast, which is still fine for omelletes, toast etc, just not as good as other places. And although the pools are superfantastic, they officially close at 6.00 pm. I never tried to swim after 6.00 so i don't know if they'd let you. I reckon you could swim after 6.00 in the pool where the honeymoon suites are and they wouldn't know.

Check out the Millennium too, great for shopping/nightlife, but it's a bit of a walk to the beach.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in Patong??

Perhaps Mercure Patong too

Adelaide
Level Contributor
413 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in Patong??

Hi,

I would also suggest the Holiday Inn as it has most things that you are wanting. There are 2 big pools. I find that most of the kids will swim in the pool closest to the beach end, where as the adults use the pool with the swim up bar (in the Busakorn wing). The swim up bar has a fantastic happy hour every day. I think cocktails were half price 8-). OTOP markets are just across the road so you can do your shopping, then drop off your bags at the hotel room, then head back to the markets for more. The beach is across the road (opposite end from the markets). We don't bother swimming in the beach as the pools are fantastic. Room service is cheap (compared to home that is!). You are also a 5 min walk away from Bangla Rd. The Holiday Inn has a wonderful day spa, but a little pricey. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck with your choice!

tavia

Monaco
Level Contributor
119 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in Patong??

Agree with the other travelers, holiday inn and millennium resort are currently the trendiest hotels in Patong, they are my favorite 2 places anyway.

Millennium resort: connected to the huge Jungceylon shopping mall (Robinson, Carrefour, cinema, bowling, game arcade, over 5o restaurants/bars/coffee houses etc…) the hotel is also connected to sound club, which is one of the upscale nightclubs in Phuket. moreover, the hotel has 2 wings (beachside = basic but good rooms) and (lakeside = classier more luxurious room, if you want top class get the cabana rooms, large balcony, pool access (very cool) and private Jacuzzi, it’s like having an extra living room. + Cabana rooms are next to the wonderful Spa). And final note, the hotel is steps away from bang-la Street.

Main advantage: location, cabana rooms, spa, shopping mall and not so many families.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGKewdVIxw

http://www.escentika-spa.com

holiday inn: top notch service, half of the hotel got a great facelift recently, renovated rooms look amazing, location wise it’s okay, closer to the beach (but who would swim in Patong beach, it very crowded, and not that clean, I would recommend, nai harn, kata beach, or laem singh).

Main advantage: service, staff, pool, and ambiance (slightly more expensive than the other hotels)

For great deal go to: www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/phuket.html

Enjoy!

Queensland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in Patong??

Hi,

We and our friends have stayed at Patong Merlin a few times and it was great. 3 pools close to everything..bars..restaurants beach...shopping..day spa... etc

Breakfast/Dinner in the restaurant was great as well !

We went in November and are going again next week ...have fun...!!

busselton
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in Patong??

Check out the Royal Paradise and compare price with others mentioned.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay in Patong??

I've stayed at the Amari, Deevana and Patong Merlin but will probably choose Banthai next time as it has ground floor rooms within close proximity of the pool and once you walk outside of the grounds you have all the shopping and nightlife just a short walk away. Patong Merlin has many ozzies staying there with varying ages so not full of honeymooners. Deevana is good value for money, but further away from the beach. As you don't mention price, you may get varied suggestions, can you let us know what prices you might be wanting to pay?

Lee

Melbourne
Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay in Patong??

I dont like that end of the beach (holiday inn) the walk from there towards the Bangla rd section is the worst in patong for being hassled , and that end of the beach is probably the dirtiest, if you can afford it, check out Impiana Cabana .

Nice place, great location.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay in Patong??

Check out the Banthai...

Fantastic location... 3 swim up bars in different pools.. has a day spa but as with all hotels you will get better deals away from the hotels.. really nice rooms.. good breakie.. no kids club or kids pool... and honeymooners.. well you will find them at every hotel.. but I wouldnt call the Banthai a honeymooners hotel.. :)

but my tip for avoiding those with young families is stay away from anywhere that has a kids club... it has worked for me so far.. ( and no i am not a child hatter... lol.)

cheers

chelle

Adelaide
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay in Patong??

Hi. Thanks for your comments. I dont have anything against honeymooners or kids - just been there done that and now its time for us girls to have a good time without the kids which is why we want a nice place where there is plenty happening. Just would prefer not to have a zillion kids screaming, splashing and bombing us while we're sitting at the swim up bar sipping our cocktails! :-)

We were actually considering the banthai but recently I read some traveller reviews on this hotel and they were a bit ordinary, ie saying the rooms and bathrooms were a bit run down and tired!

So many to choose from! I think for us the most important part is the location cos we want to shop, eat out, go to a day spa and see the nightlife, all without have to walk too far. so the banthai does tick all these boxes?

Thanks again