We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 nights - would you split between Patong and Kata???

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
10 nights - would you split between Patong and Kata???

Hi everyone

I am planning a family trip for October with my husband and 2 children who will be aged 13 and 15. I was thinking of spending 7 or so nights in Patong somewhere like Patong Merlin/Novotel or Mercure and then after the chaos of Patong (so I've read) moving to somewhere quieter with a prettier beach and maybe more upmarket? Does Kata fit that description?

Experts, do you think this is a good idea or would you devote all the time to Patong. Is it feasible from a logistical point of view? I am thinking the teenagers will love Patong. They are looking for more excitement than Fiji can offer. I would like a few days to recuperate somewhere before we fly home.

Finally, out of the three Patong hotels suggested, which do you recommend. We are not beachy people, preferring to laze by a nice pool. We would prefer interconnecting rooms and comfortable beds. I am disturbed by the number of complaints I have read about rock hard beds/pillows at alot of places.

Open to any suggestions you might offer, especially re the second leg of the planned itinerary.

Many thanks,

Ally

leeton nsw australia
4 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: 10 nights - would you split between Patong and Kata???

Hi, I have been reading all the suggestions. Last year we stayed at the Merlin Beach Resort and it was magical, ideal if you are wanting some time to relax before returning home and you are still close enough if you decide you want to go back in to Patong (5 minute Tuk Tuk ride). As suggetsed, the beach there is more for aesthetics as it is very rocky and not really for swimming, however, once you see the gorgeous pools at the Merlin you will be reluctant to swim anywhere else.

You have stated that you were considering staying at the Patong Merlin, i walked through it last year as i was considering staying there this year, however, i did find it to be very tierd looking and in need of some desperateTLC, especially the pool area and sun lounges. The location however is great. I did not see the rooms so i cannot comment there. This year we have booked at the Holiday Inn. Many people have recommended the Holiday Inn and after reading trip advisor reviews i think it is the stand out hotel in Patong.

Good luck, you and your family will love Phuket. I'm totally addicted to holidaying there *-) All the best.

Juls.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 10 nights - would you split between Patong and Kata???

I chose to stay at Kata believing it to be quieter but was very disappointed. There are no hotels on the beach because of Club Med grounds so unless you are happy to walk in the heat and humidity it is an expensive tuk tuk or taxi ride to the beach (even more expensive to Kata Noi). Kata beach was filled with sun beds and quite dirty by the beds . There were many food stalls at the top of the beach. Kata Noi was a little quieter but neither were the Thai paradise I was expecting. The beaches could have been anywhere on a package holiday in a hot place.

The roads in the village were very busy and getting round was very expensive.

I would thoroughly recommend going out and staying on the islands - Phi Phi is beautiful and has no motor traffic. You can get snorkelling trips very cheaply, and the ferry ride is enjoyable. Yes it's busy with day trippers between 12.00 and 2.00 but still delightful.

CAPE TOWN
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 10 nights - would you split between Patong and Kata???

Stayed in Kata in October and agree with the comments of YorkshireCherry. The tuk tuks and taxis drivers have some kind of price fixing monolopy in place and charge exoberant prices to take you anywhere in and around Kata. There is no apparent alternative form of public transport. Would recommend that you hire a car if you stay in Kata. Kata is also very busy and one is constantly approached (hassled) to buy something in the street, on the beach, in a restaurant, in the taxi at the bar on a tour even swimming in the sea (jet ski hire) and the list goes on. However it pales into insignificance compared to Patong which at night is basically all geared towards a more unsavoury pursuit. If you are looking for a relaxing tropical island getaway with teenage children you would be better served travelling to Mauritius, Seycelles, Maldives or Fiji.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 10 nights - would you split between Patong and Kata???

Max I agree with much of what you have said but it must be remembered that there are so many beaches and islands in Thailand with nothing of what has been mentioned about Patong, Kata etc.

They are very different indeed ! We used to live in Patong Phuket in the 90's and left in 2002 as our house was just getting surrounded by construction sites and although it has always been a popular beach resort area it just changed too much for us . :) LOL - it was just getting all too much as Patong has changed over the years from the place we had loved for so long.

There are lovely beaches and islands with none of those worries, Khao Lak, Krabi ( quiet away from Ao Nang ) Koh Lanta just as examples.

Relaxing family friendly places like Hua Hin where a ride the distance of Karon to Patong costs 10 baht each !

Thailand is a superb place for a holiday but please don't judge it all on just these places.

CAPE TOWN
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 10 nights - would you split between Patong and Kata???

Accepted Monica, I was being harsh on the entire Thailand. Phuket is marketed as a tropical island destination. A place of relaxation and tranquilty. Patong and Kata do not fit into this description. As YorkshieCherry mentions the beaches could have been anywhere on a package holiday in a hot (and busy) place.In fairness I did visit Raya Island and it was great. There were good corals close to the beach and the water clarity was excellent. Raya Island was quiet and relaxed, if I had stayed there for 10 days I would have had a totally different perspective. I perfer Mauritius as a tropical island destination.

26. Re: 10 nights - would you split between Patong and Kata???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 19, 2010