We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meter taxi or hotel limo?

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Meter taxi or hotel limo?

Hi guys,

I am indecisive on my transportation choice from Phuket airport to a hotel in Kata, as I will be arriving late on Sat night (after 10pm).

The hotel is charging me (limo) for 850BHT nett per way, incl. airport pick-up. I am not sure how much a normal meter taxi will charge me from Phuket airport to Kata.

I am also taking into consideration that it is late and it's a long journey from the airport.

Any advice here?

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Meter taxi or hotel limo?

Check out the Phuket forum FAQs on the top RHS of the home page:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293920-s304/Phuket:T…

A meter taxi to Kata would be similar to the Karon price; about 450 baht.

Edited: 9:28 pm, December 15, 2009
Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Meter taxi or hotel limo?

Hi Mrs J Hyde,

Thanks for your advice! Would it be difficult to get a taxi from Phuket airport at this late hour (after 10pm) on Saturday night?

I was there 10 years ago and haven't gone back since - not too certain how things have changed :)

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,833 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meter taxi or hotel limo?

You wont have a problem, there will still be heaps of taxis there.

Cathy

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meter taxi or hotel limo?

Actually I don't think the meter taxi's work that late. From the airprot to Kata in a meter Taxi it is about 450 baht.

However I have arrived late and was not able to get one.

Other times I have to wait.

You can take the AOT taxi's which are not metered and they will charge you probably about 700 baht.

however please note we just had a complaint form a guest who took the airport taxi and was practically hijacked - first the driver took him to that infamous tour office trying to sell him tours.

Then the driver insisted on taking him to another hotel (one where he would get commission no doubt).. Yes he will complain to TAT.. but it is not what you want to deal with arriving from a long plane ride

Spend the extra few dollars and have a driver with a sign and your name on it waiting for you!

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Meter taxi or hotel limo?

"You can take the AOT taxi's which are not metered and they will charge you probably about 700 baht. "

Spare yourself the aggro and do not use any taxi other than a meter taxi. The problems listed above could put a real dampener on the start of your holiday.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meter taxi or hotel limo?

Make sure you get a metered taxi. Turn right as you exit the terminal and walk 50 meters to the end of the veranda.

Pay the man at the taxi booth the 100 baht Airport Levy and he will call a metered taxi around to the front. When you arrive at your hotel pay the driver the fare on the meter....about 400 baht.

Ignore offers of limo, taxi, metered taxi etc as you walk to the metered taxi booth.

We have some pics of the booth and the metered taxis on our Phuket tip page here... www.bobandjanette.com

Happy & safe travels

Bob

Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Meter taxi or hotel limo?

Thank you all for your kind advice!

It seems to me that I shouldn't have problems getting a meter taxi from airport to my hotel after 10pm, which is also half the price quoted by the hotel (for limo service).

Definitely would avoid any touts!!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meter taxi or hotel limo?

The poster is arriving at 10pm.

The meter taxi's are not open that late in my experience.

Was not nice standing out there waiting for one then they never came.

By the way there are NO LIMOS on Phuket. The term is used loosely here and can used to describe a 10 year old Honda soluna!

9. Re: Meter taxi or hotel limo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:51 am, December 22, 2009
phuket
Level Contributor
10 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meter taxi or hotel limo?

My advice, use the hotel's car, even at B850/Way, car will be there, and driver will carry a signboard, no hassle, no bargain, no cheat, the car will bring you directly to your hotel, and will not stop somewhere, trying to sell you anything possible on the way. Taxi meter often doesn't work late evening, as well quite often they don't want to use their meter !!. You coming late, you are there for few days, don't make your holiday miserable. two others things, if you forget something in the hotel's car, you'll get it back easily (many people under the flight stress, forget a lot of things in taxi (mobile, passport, wallet)). And if anything happen on the road late evening with an outside taxi from airport what will be your options ??

Have good trip.