We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children in bars Day and Night

Blackpool,England
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Children in bars Day and Night

HI

Probably a silly question but can we take our 3yrs old niece into all bars or is there any restrictions as were on holiday?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Children in bars Day and Night

Hello,

Kid's in bars?

Dont worry, this not a problem. You'll find Thai people will adore the young ones and will go out of there way to keep them entertained. The way they see it, if they can keep you at there bar and spend money buying drinks, then it means your not spending your money elsewhere.

Can I suggest that you take a visit to Patong O Top market in the evening. It is situated over the road from The Holiday Inn Hotel. There's loads of bars, cheaper than bars located on coast road and a good family atmosphere. Try and locate Quoka Bar, owned by a lady called Gai and her husband Dave. They will make sure your young children are entertained whilst you relax and enjoy a drink.

Enjoy!

Doyley. Liverpool UK

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children in bars Day and Night

Not a silly question at all loulou.....

Yes...There are no restrictions for children in bars as far as I know.....However,be ever mindful that the bars on Bangla Road can get very raunchy at night....

Especially ladyboy bar...Can't remember the name of it...!!??...But the guys tend to show a little more than expected.....Ooops..!!??...

Never let your 3 year old niece out of your sight,let alone out of your hands....Abductions can happen anywhere,anytime as you know....

But yes,as Doyley said...The Otop bars are much quieter and relaxed....

And it is a huge market for shopping too.....

The bars on the beach road have great bands if you want to take in some music...

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Children in bars Day and Night

Hi Doyley,

I am with you on this one, we have been going to the Quokka bar since 2003 and Gai and David are lovely people, also the 2 managers Mai & Elle are also lovely girls and we have had so much fun with all of them over the years.

Its always our 1st stop when we are back in Patong Beach.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children in bars Day and Night

While you are unlikely to encounter a problem having a 3 yer old along, be aware that the law states that the minimum age for entering a bar is 20 years.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Children in bars Day and Night

Probably would avoid Bangla Rd late at night LOL however, there are plenty of child friendly places that are ok for kids. Otop at night is agood choice. We went to the little memaifd in Karon a few times. A quick meal, sit back with a Chang and the kids watched a little soccer. We did always tend to leave by about 9.00pm - probably before it got too messy.

Funnily enough, one of the things my children remember most about their trip away...We had just arrived in Patong from Karon Beach. It was very hot and humid (the middle of the day) and we had been walking for about 30min. finally we came across "Scruffy's" bar on Bangla Road. It looked dark -----and very cool. We are stopped for a refresher (cokes for the kids of course) and watch a little aussie rules footy. We only stayed 30mins top, but my two still talk about the really ''cool' bar they went to. (and I mean the airconditioning) HA!

Blackpool,England
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Children in bars Day and Night

HI

Thank you to all that have replied and your ressurance.

I Have read the Quoka Bar somewhere as its on my list,Big thanks about the Otop recommnedations.

With 4 adults and 1 child im sure we can enjoy ourselves and be extra vigilant at the same time.

Many Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Children in bars Day and Night

Most of the bars seem relatively ok, bar staff will keep the kids entertained playing connect 4 or other games, OTOP markets are great lots of bars there, you can shop there too. Thai's love kids and will keep them entertained. As other people point out, don't let them out of your sight and you will be ok. Have a great trip.

Blackpool,England
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Children in bars Day and Night

Hi

Thank you x

9. Re: Children in bars Day and Night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, May 30, 2010