We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong - the truth please?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Patong - the truth please?

Hi

I have heard that Patong is now very sleazy with lots of fighting in bars and rough at night

we were planning on staying there but not sure now!

Does anyone know 1st hand please?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patong - the truth please?

There is one tiny area that could be described as sleazy, but most of the town is just a tourist town, with regular bars, restaurants, hotels, shops etc. Any problem that appears is always blown out of all proportion by the western media, who love, for some unknown reason, to portray Thailand as a haven of debauchery, while conveniently forgetting to mention what goes on in their own back yard. Fighting bars and rough at night is not anything typical of Patong, but sounds much more like a typical English city.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,767 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patong - the truth please?

No sleazy places in thailand which includes Patong. Just media portrayed misconceptions.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patong - the truth please?

Patong is very crowded during high season and has a night area where to party scene is very heavy. If you are not respectfull to others and the laws or let yourself get carried away with drinking, then you are inviting trouble and have no one to thank but yourself. Lets face it, Patong is crowded, Bangla road can be considered sleazy depending on ones definition of sleazy, but only rough if you invite it, miss behave or if you do not educate yourself on the local scams. If you are looking for somewhere laid back and quiet without crowds you might want to try one of the less frequented islands. Patong offers good and bad points as any other vacation spot would.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Bangla Road
Bangla Road
16,417 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patong - the truth please?

I don't mind crowds snowpirate as long its just people having harmless fun

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patong - the truth please?

Hi Ruthxxx, it is all harmless fun. Like the other poster also stated, trouble does not usually find you here unless invited. I am sure you won't mind Patong. :)

Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patong - the truth please?

We loved our stay in Patong (just got back last week). I was expecting it to be more sleazy and touristy, but it wasnt like that at all for us. We stayed out of the main strip (at Deevana)and spent most nights at Nicky's Handlebar (which is a fabulous restaurant and hawker/hooker/hassle free zone). So it was great and everything was still in walking distance. We also went in low season, which I prefer as the crowds are fewer and Thailand is beautiful whenever you go. Just plan where you are going to stay, so that you can go into the main bar strips etc when you want, but not have them on your doorstep...enjoy! [If you decide Phuket is not for you, try Hau Hin closer to Bangkok].

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patong - the truth please?

It is also low season in Patong right now.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Patong - the truth please?

You see what you want to see in Patong and just ignore anything that doesn't appeal.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
england
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Patong - the truth please?

Hi Reptonites

What a coincindence we are considering booking the Deevana please can you give me some info

We have been offered a junior suite in the spa wing

on the upper floor are they ok

Is it a good hotel or can you recommend better

Is there enough to keep us busy for 9 nights or should we go to 2 seperate places

Any replies appreciated - thanks

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Patong - the truth please?

Bearing in mind my experience was in 2004. Me and and boyfriend were visiting his friend in Thailand and we stayed in Patong. The beach area wasn't too bad if I remember correctly, but there was one area where I didn't like.

The 3 of us went into this bar and some local Thai women just latched themselves onto my OH!!! I was really shocked ... it was more like 'oi, hands off.'

After that I made us go to the most conservative bar I could find! At the time, I remember seeing some male holidaymakers who were travelling on their own with several local women hanging around them.

Other than that I don't remember seeing many fights etc

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Get answers to your questions about Patong