We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitto bites

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mosquitto bites

going to phuket christmsa/newyear i get really bad bites some info on what is the best thing for them last time had about 30 on one leg

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
16,771 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitto bites

Were you sleeping in cheap places with fan only cooling? Lots of travelers who sleep in fan only rooms leave the windows open for ventilation, even with screens mosquitoes find ways into the room

So, stay in a room with A/C and keep the windows shut. You can also use coils at night time. You can spray the toilet area or other places if you see them in your room.

Put some deet on pretty often. Some people just attract more bugs than other people. Maybe use a different soap or perfume this time. You can also wear long pants, shoes and socks plus a long sleeve shirt. Sometimes you see couples walking together and the guy is bug bite free and the woman is covered with welts.

Are you sure it is mosquito bites and not bed bug bites? If you are getting these bites in a hotel you might by a net but in over 12 years in SouthEastAsia this time I have never bought one!

Good luck.

Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitto bites

I react badly to mosquito bites. I take an anti-histamine as soon as I've been bitten and I continue to take them until they're gone. I find it works. I also use DEET, because I seem to attract anything the bites or stings.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitto bites

Good advice on the two responses above.

Have been going to Phuket for 15 years now, here is what I have in a wee tip sheet that a friend and I started to give to friends planning a holiday in Phuket and asking us all sorts of things.

"Those bloody mosquitos!

No matter how good the hotel room., We have always found it well worthwhile to buy a can of insecticide and use it to spray our room before going out at night. That is also the time to ensure ankles; lower legs and arms are protected. There are many brands of insect repellent to choose from but one of the most effective - and lowest priced - is WILD LIVES, a natural Thai product. It is generally available at pharmacists and the 7-11’s; Mini-Marts etc.

Put it on liberally!

…. and then there is …. POY-SIAN

It looks like a small nasal inhaler – and it is – with eucalyptus, menthol and camphor in its mix, much like ‘Tiger Balm’. But the bottom part unscrews and the Thais use it to dab any itchy insect bites which often are a sudden irritant as you walk around Easy to carry in the pocket and it only costs about 17 Baht – available at any 7-11, Minimart or pharmacy!

If you would like a copy of the Tip Sheet - a sort of a quick start to your holiday - just send me an email to rfdunedin@ymail.com.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitto bites

Mozzies are less prevalent at the time you are going - it is the hot/dry season. But, I would not take any chances!

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitto bites

This trip we bought a spray from the chemist which was an oil base - no bits. Also from the chemist we bought a small white tin with a green lid which is a green ointment (sorry name in Thai but the chemist will know what you are taking about) and it stops the itching and gone within 24-48 hours.

6. Re: mosquitto bites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:37 am, November 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Patong