We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hand made suits

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
hand made suits

where is the best place in patong for hand made suits men& womens

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hand made suits

Arguably: SILHOUETTE in Patong.

Over the early years of visiting Phuket, I tried three or four different tailors, had some hits but also some misses. Not in the past six or seven years though. That is when I discovered a wee shop called SILHOUETTE which is situated in Soi Post Office, just up from the beachfront road (in the same Soi as the popular S&G and Sabai Sabai restaurants).

Silhouette is owned and run by a lovely Thai couple, Somsak Bumroongwong and his wife Vasita. Somsak (who is a Phuketian by birth) and Vasita are both graduates of the School Of Fashion in Bangkok, indeed that is where they first met. They stock top quality fabrics which they personally go to Bangkok to buy and they will make what you want, unlike many of the others who will make what they think you should have (important for women, that!.

Nor do they employ touts who become something of a nuisance as you pass by every other tailor shop as you make your way down the beachfront road and the sois running off it. That makes them unusual in a trade that is dominated by Indians and Nepalese.

Somsak and Vasita take their time, and suggest things. Go early in your stay, that way you can have fittings at leisure! In “the low season”, May to September, the shop is usually only open from 6pm to 11pm. Silhouette is a bit more expensive that most of the others but believe me it is worth it. Their men’s jackets are stunningly tailored and lined and I am still wearing trousers purchased 6 years ago!

A footnote: In recent times (2008), many of the Indian and Nepalese tailors have ‘discovered’ the catalogues put out by leading tailors in the UK and Australia but not, as yet, the US. I only found this out by chance when waiting for “the other half” and whiling away the time conversing with an inevitably pleasant, young shop assistant. He wanted to practice his English-speaking and was very proud of what his shop offered. “My boss gets the best”, he says. “We can copy anyone including David John’s”. “David John’s?” say I. “Yes, I show you the catalogue”. Guess what? It was from David JONES, one of Australia’s leading (if not the leading) department store! He was even more perplexed when I tried to explain that David Jones is NOT a tailor but a big, big, upmarket department store that sells most everything like TV’s etc, as well as high-class clothing!

This is just one of the places a friend and I have put together in a tip sheet over the 15 years or so we have been visiting Patong. It is a sort of 'quick start' for a holiday and was originally prepared for local friends and acquaintances in our home town of Dunedin, New Zealand, who were intending to holiday in Phuket. It suggests places to go, places to eat and places to shop ... of course!

It is totally non-commercial and we are not on any "kickbacks' etc from the places we mention, we are just acknowledging in 'a wee way', the enjoyment we have had over many years and the friendships made.

If you would like a copy, just email me: rfdunedin@ymail.com.

Enjoy your holiday!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hand made suits

thanks for your help i would love iof you could email the guide very much appreciated

michael

email mcbrienmichael@hotmail.com

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hand made suits

Hi - I cam back from patong a couple of weeks ago - and had a auit made whilst out there.

I had a 3 piece suit - 2 pairs of trousers- and 3 double cuff shirts made for 10,000 thb.

The quality is amazing and the cut is very flattering.

The tailor is located in the shopping centre on Bangla Road. If you walk in the main entrance his shop is on the left hand side - indian guy - very nice and helpful.

Tell him I recommended him - and he will gice you a discount!!

4. Re: hand made suits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, November 23, 2009