We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend a tailor in patong

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Recommend a tailor in patong

Hi we are going to Patong in early May 2009, can anyone recommend a good easy to deal with tailor and also give me a idea on what is a average price for a good quality suit, (PS i know it depends on the fabric, but just trying to get a bit of an idea of price)

Thanks for your help.

Australia
Level Contributor
215 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend a tailor in patong

In mid 2007 I bought 2 suits, 2 x trousers, 8 x shirts and 2 ties were thrown in gratis costing me all up 8000 baht. Now the big point you touched on was the fabric - and I would also mention the quality of workmanship. At the end of the day you get what you pay for so unless you really understand the materials, quality etc you don't really know if you have picked up a bargain or not. I have seen people buy suits in Phuket for 2000-2500 baht that you could buy off the shelf in most discount department stores in Australia for $69, and better quality too!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend a tailor in patong

Hi Max

I have been a regular visitor to Phuket (sometimes twice a year when I am lucky!) for the past 12 years.

I've tried a few tailors, had some hits but also some misses. Not in the past six or seven years though. That is when I discovered a wee shop called SILHOUETTE which is situated in Soi Post Office, just up from the beachfront road (in the same Soi as the popular S&G and Sabai Sabai restaurants).

Silhouette is owned and run by a lovely Thai couple, Somsak Bumroongwong and his wife Vasita. Both Somsak (who is a Phuketian by birth) and Vasita are graduates of the School Of Fashion in Bangkok. They stock top quality fabrics which they personally go to Bangkok to source and they will make what you want, unlike many of the others who will make what they think you should have (important for women, that!.

Nor do they employ touts who you will find outside every other shop as you make your way down the beachfront road and the sois running off it. That makes them unusual in a trade that is dominated by Indians and Nepalese.

Somsak and Vasita take their time, and suggest things. Go early in your stay, that way you can have fittings at leisure! In “the low season”, May to September, the shop is usually only open from 6pm to 11pm. They are a bit more expensive that most of their competitors but believe me it is worth it. I am still wearing trousers purchased 6 years ago.

A footnote: In recent times, many of the Nepalese and Indian tailors have ‘discovered’ the catalogues put out by leading tailors in the UK and Australia but not, as yet, the US. I only found this out by chance when waiting for “the other half” and whiling away the time conversing with an inevitably pleasant, young shop assistant. He wanted to practice his English-speaking and was very proud of what his shop offered. “My boss gets the best”, he says. “We can copy anyone including David John’s”. “David John’s?” say I. “Yes, I show you the catalogue”. Guess what? It was from David JONES, one of Australia’s leading (if not the leading) department store! He was even more perplexed when I tried too explain that David Jones is NOT a tailor but a big, big, store that sells most everything like TV’s etc as well as high-class clothing!

In response to many questions from friends acquaintances on the lines of your enquiry, a close friend and I put together a small "tip sheet" to give first time vistors to Phuket - and Patong in particular - a quick start to their holiday. It includes places to eat that are tucked away and do not make many of the more commercial 'where to go' websites. If you would like a copy, send me an email at rfdunedin@ymail.com.

Have a great holiday!

sydney
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend a tailor in patong

Hi Max99,

Hard to follow the previous post advice as it is really good.....but I'll give it a shot!

We used Majestic Tailors. They have 2 stores, one is on the beach road down past Maccas towards the Patong Merlin. Next to a gelato shop (expensive, don't bother!! The Gelato I mean!)and one down Soi Wattana.

They were so easy to deal with, very friendly and the product was amazing.

Suits were $200 AUD or there abouts, but really great workmanship. We also had 3 dresses made for my bridesmaids and they too are stunning ($200aud)

It amy be more expensive, but worth it for the quality. Anyone who trys to sell you a $60 is not worth the hassle, the quality will be as cheap as the price.

Great point from previous post, some of the suits we saw from cheaper tailors you could buy off the shelf at Roger David for alot less hassle!! The point around the "touts" is a great one too BTW. If a tailor were that good they would not need little rude men faking Aussie accents to sell their services!

Cheers and have a great trip

Snot

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend a tailor in patong

Thanks for all your recommendations,

Perth
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend a tailor in patong

Arrived back this morning from Thailand - complete with a trouser suit and summer outfit (ladies) all made by R.K. Fashions.

They made me a really good pair of trousers on my last visit to Patong so I thought I would go back and I wasn't disappointed. Total cost for my clothes was 9,500 THB which I consider a good price as they all fit perfectly and nothing is too much trouble for them. Three fittings were needed, all within as many days.

They have a website but don't know whether I should give it as the models leave a lot to be desired (obviously holidaymakers rather than professional models!).

Address is 104/34 Soi Post Office which is right at the end of the street. Website: www.rkfashions.com

Hope this helps.

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend a tailor in patong

Hey - i came back from phuket last week - I went to a tailor in Bangla road - was amazing - the clothes fit like a glove - and he made them so quickly too. He is based inside the shopping centre on Bangla road - just on the right hand side - tell him i recommended him - and im sure he'll give you a discount. I paid 10,000 baht for a 3 piece suit, 3 double cuff shirts, and 2 extra pairs of trousers. Like I said - the workmanship is really good.

Hope this helps.

7. Re: Recommend a tailor in patong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, October 21, 2009