We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

Do the vendors in Phuket want you to have an international drivers licence to hire cars or scooters in Phuket or can you get by with your domestic licence & passport?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

By law, an international dl and passport are required. Some may accept national dl but that may invalidate any insurance.

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

Thanks for the info, does that apply for the scooters too or just for car hire?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

Any motor vehicle.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

If you already have a motorbike license it will automatically be added to your International license as they copy over what you already have. So if you dont have one and hire a bike and are involved in an accident it may cause problems with your insurance as you would be riding unlicensed.

Cathy

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

thanks for that. My husband has a motorbike & car licence so we will get an international permit for him and I will just double behind him. Thanks so much for the info!

adelaide
Level Contributor
274 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

Just check with your travel insurance as well. Covermore now have a moped/scooter extension. It only covers you if you are licensed at home and have International permit. So even if you have all correct licenses there is a possibilty you may not be covered as your insurance may exclude all motorcycle activity. I think this is new, but now we make sure we ask for the Moped cover. Better safe than sorry.

Have Fun

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

Thanks, I always use travel Insurance Direct for my travel insurance so I will go read their policy.

Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

Not sure about insurance implications but we were able to hire a scooter for multiple days. All we had to do was leave the passport with the person we were renting from - but they dont ask for a license at all.

We were also pulled over by police (lucky we always had helmets on) and he simply checked the aussie drivers license smiled and let us on our way :)

If you do hire a scooter make sure you have a helmet as we did spot a guy without one being pulled over and we're guessing he was charged.

Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

Thanks for all the information on this topic everyone.

With regard to the hiring of scooters I have noticed that you say you have to leave your passport with the hirer. As one who is not keen on give up their passport will they except a photo copy or does it have to be the passport.

Also are they trust worthy, is there a hirer you can recommend?

Do they supply helmets?

John

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International drivers licence to hire car or scooter?

Cass, the insurance implications are simple - you are not insured. Have an accident and you will pay, and if you can't pay you will spend some time in the company of the BIB until you can arrange for transfers from your own country.