We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for somewhere new to try

Canberra
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
looking for somewhere new to try

Hi

We have just returned from our third trip to thailand, although we love it are looking for somewhere different next time. In Phuket we have always stayed at Patong because it is easier to get around, eat, shop etc.

This time I found it had become a bit too expensive (compared to Bangkok etc) and aggressive.

We were thinking maybe Bali or Fiji next time but would still like to stay somewhere central. We like to see the culture and explore. Not really into "laying on the beach all day" type of holiday.

Has anyone been to both Thailand and/or Bali and Fiji that could offer a comparison etc.

Thanks

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for somewhere new to try

Hello There,

We have been to all of the places you mentioned

but love Phuket the best!!

Just try and stay away from Patong , last year we spent time in Karon, Kata, and Bangtao, our daughter and family went to Kao Lak and loved it.

There is so much more to Phuket than Patong!!

I found food cheaper and nicer in Phuket, but I really did love the Fijians they are great , but Fiji

overall is way more expensive.Bali is beutiful but I did not appreciate the last time I was there being asked for a jigyjig(spelling?) by a fellow selling watches. Keep in mind I am a grandmother LOL.

Seriously I love the true Balinese but lots of the street sellers have become very rude.

I hope this helps you,

Lindy.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
239 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for somewhere new to try

Hi I've been to Fiji twice and Phuket once, going again to Phuket this yr. There's no comparison in my opinion between the 2.

The easiet way I can compare them is to say Fiji is a very "safe watered down holiday" everything from the food, the drinks, the cultural experiences are "watered down" to suit the tourists. I found virtually no real experiences in Fiji. There are nice resorts in Fiji but off the main island which means you are locked in to eatting at the hotel resort restaurants, drinking in their bar and they are very expensive, in comparison to Thailand...think $30 NZ dollar mains.

Personally after doing Thailand I'd never do Pacific Islands again

Canberra
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for somewhere new to try

Thank you both for your replies. I should have explained that although we base ourselves in Patong as it is easier we have probably explored and enjoyed every inch of Phuket. What I was asking was Bali for example, similar in that there is plenty of culture and beautiful scenery if you get out and about. Do not want to be stuck in a "resort style" holiday, want to expeience the country not just swim and shop in it.

Kathy

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for somewhere new to try

Hi Again,

I have always loved the culture and scenery in Bali,

it really is a beautiful place.

When last there, I went to a cooking class in Ubud and if I ever went back there, I would like to spend a few days in Ubud.

The trouble is, I don't think my husband will ever go there again , he did not enjoy it at all last time!

I found the culture much more interesting in Bali than Fiji even though I loved Fiji.

Hope this helps a little.

Lindy.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for somewhere new to try

I have visited all three also and definately love Thailand the most - have so far only been to Phuket but next holiday going to try Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and possibly Koh Lanta....

Next favourite would be Fiji - very beautiful clean place with gorgeous clear water and extremely friendly Fijian people - but have to agree it is a "safe" holiday with not much sightseeing and cultural experience to be had.

Last time I went to Bali in 2001 (third visit) I really didn't like it all that much - had gotten very dirty, especially the beach (yuk!) and the balinese are quite aggressive...I have stayed in Kuta, Legian and Seminyak but if I ever did go back would probably head to Sanur and Ubud or possibly Jimbaran Bay...wouldn't stay in Legian/Kuta area again - very very busy and dirty in my opinion - much dirtier and smellier than Patong...but then saying that, there is heaps of exploring and sightseeing to be done on the island....

Friends that we travelled with to Thailand last year still loved Bali better so it really is a personal opinion....shopping is also cheaper in Bali but I found the quality better in Thailand.

Hope this helps.

emjean

Canberra
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for somewhere new to try

Tnank you all for the great advise - am leaning towards Bali I think.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for somewhere new to try

Kathy,

I have been to Bali many many times and I agree that the scenery is really nice. The Balinese are nice too. On the last few times that I went the street sellers were just awful, they really do walk down the street after you. Unlike in Thailand where you are hassled to purchase only mildly compared to in Bali. I find that in Thailand once you are out of the direct front of a shop the sellers 'let you go'. In Bali they tend to walk down the street after you. Bali (Kuta - Legian) had become quite glitzy and had lots some of its old charm. If I went back to Bali I would go to a quieter part such as Ubud.

This year I hope to go to back to Thailand and will probably stay at either Karon or Ko Lak. But will definately stay a week in th outskirts of Changi Mai.

I am also interested in going to India with a couple of nights in Agra (near the Taj) then down to the beach areas south of Goa.

8. Re: looking for somewhere new to try

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 17, 2009