We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tailor/dressmaker in Patong

Which Patong hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tailor/dressmaker in Patong

Hi. I see Lady Oz has already addressed this topic but no-one has responded. Maybe I will be luckier! I would like to have some clothes copied and know I will be fielding off many tailors there, so does anyone know of a specific tailor I could go to who will do a good job and is reliable? I will be there for ten nights so he/she should have ample time to complete. Have read one or two horror stories about tailors and would like to avoid that type of experience if poss. Thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tailor/dressmaker in Patong

Hi

I don't know if this will help as I can't remember the name of the tailor we used. However they were at the northern end of Patong in a group of shops set back from the street. There was a kodak shop on one side and a nightclub called Rock City on the other.

My daughter had her graduation dress made. We did not have a design or even a photo to show the tailor. All we could do was try and explain with our hands what we wanted. The initial fitting was a disaster and left my daughter close to tears. But after about 6 more fittings over a period of 3 or 4 days we ended up with a fantastic and original dress for her to wear. From memory it cost approximalety $80-$90 Australian.

It must have been so difficult for the lady to know where to start but she could not have been more helpful and nothing was too much trouble. I am going back in July and am going to take her a photo of my daughters graduation night and also get some dresses made for myself.

Wendy

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tailor/dressmaker in Patong

Hey Wendy. Thanks so much for the info. It will probably be easier for her as I have garments to copy. Leaving next Wed May 2nd and will be there until the 13th. Can't wait to go!!!

Enjoy your hols in July!! Cheers!

Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tailor/dressmaker in Patong

Have a great time. Still 87 more sleeps for me.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tailor/dressmaker in Patong

Only 8 more sleeps for me! ... but then of course I will be green with envy when it's your turn to go and I'm stuck back here at home! Weather is turning a bit nippy here now so looking forward to some real HEAT! Cheers! Hopefully will do the BBQ thing on the 4th or 11th and meet some more TA's....

Melbourne
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tailor/dressmaker in Patong

I had some shirts and pants made by the Tailor in the street off beach road, that runs alongside the Holiday Inn, near Seven Eleven. I can't remember his name, but he was not pushy at all. He didn't stand outside his shop trying to get you to come in.

ACT
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tailor/dressmaker in Patong

Hi Red52,

I think it is called Universal Fashion. From my research that is the one on the same alley (or something like like) right near the Holiday Inn.

I would love to hear your feedback on them. I have decided to use them when we head over in about 13 days.

I just want a plain, straight knee length dress and matching jacket.

I still have no idea of how much to pay though, I am definitely going in blind on this one...............I just don't want to get ripped off :o(

Cheers

T4

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
889 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tailor/dressmaker in Patong

T4,

We've just returned from Patong and used Tommy the Tailor, who is on Beach Rd, just past The holiday Inn. I only had things copied but he did some amazing work for other customers, whom I saw at their fittings. Prices were dearer than when we were last there 3 years ago and also dearer than Bali in January. It's a bit hard to know what to pay, and you can barter a bit. Maybe go to a few tailors so you get a bit of an idea of what to pay. Just be sure of what you really want, and either take a similar garment or a drawing. Some people downloaded pictures from the Internet, and most tailors have fashion books you can look at. Allow time for fittings and alterations, to make sure you get exactly what you want.