We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb 2018 trip - self driving

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
138 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Feb 2018 trip - self driving

Good morning fellow traveler's :)

I'm in the process of planning my next trip to patong, this will be my 3rd trip, I have been in 2012 & 2013 both times with my mum who is coming again. We will be staying 9 nights at the horizon patong beach towards the end of Feb.

As we have been to patong/phuket twice now, this time we were wanting to do something a little different in the way of hiring a car & taking some day trips around and even outside of Phuket. I would be willing to drive up to 2 hours each way to reach a destination.

I would love to hear from people who have done the same & get some suggestions for awesome places to drive to. I'm thinking picturesque beaches, lovely local villages with amazing food & roadside stalls, waterfalls, rainforests (although with easy access as mum is 64 & I'm not the fittest haha)

Also would love recommendations/advice of the following;

* Expected price per day car hire (i was thinking 3 or 4 days hire out of the 9 days)

* Reputable car hire company's in vicinity of patong beach

* Does the horizon offer parking (couldn't find the info on their website)

* unrelated to car hire - beautiful, quiet locations to go to from patong beach via long tail boat

Thanks in advance :)

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
7 replies to this topic
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb 2018 trip - self driving

others will answer-- be careful that ur insured to go off island if that's what u intend to do

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb 2018 trip - self driving

There is a car park next to the main entrance, where the shuttle bus stops

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb 2018 trip - self driving

Seen this on the Khao Lak forum which might be of some interest...............

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914…

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb 2018 trip - self driving

I just returned my hired car today in Phuket. Hired it from “airport car rent” company. It was a 2016 honda jazz and cost 800bht per day including insurance. You have to pick and drop the car from their office which is just opposite to the KTH airport. The car was really clean and most importantly, it was a new car.

Another one is “andaman car rent”. I found so many good reveiwes of this one and really wanted to hire the car from them; but unfortunately their email response was slow. By that time I already booked the airport car rent.

I used the car 3 days in Phuket. I drove it to Krabi. The road is beautiful. It took me ~3.5hours from Patong to Krabi Aonang beach. And another 3hrs from Krabi to Patong. Yes, it was a long drive but I enjoyed it.

Next day, I drove around Phuket. I covered almost all the popular beaches and view points in patong, kata, karon, kamala, rawai & nai harn. Also went to Central Shopping Mall & Phuket Old Town.

Hope this helps. Best of luck :)

Thanks.

Edited: 9:26 am, August 19, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Krabi Resort
Krabi Resort
1,536 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feb 2018 trip - self driving

Amy, do it. The best parts of Phuket are outside Patong. and driving around is not that bad. Just take it easy and keep an eye out for the unexpected. Having been there you should be aware of the tourists on bikes not very good at driving. Most of that is in Patong. You will love driving around the south at Rawai and Nai Harn, and up the west coast to the beaches there. There is much to see. I always hire a car at Bruan Car Hire and have never had an issue. They meet me at the airport and drop me off at completion. You will enjoy your trip so much more after driving around and seeing so much at your own pace.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Rawai
Rawai
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feb 2018 trip - self driving

Depending on time of day, traffic and roadworks it will take best part of two hours to get off the island from Patong. Well worth it though to go north to Khao Lak or south to Krabi. Just take your time and enjoy the ride.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
138 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feb 2018 trip - self driving

Thanks for the info all :)

Some great info and hearing other peoples experiences in driving in Phuket is a great help. I'm a confident driver, however driving in Phuket (moreso Patong with all those scooters and tuk tuks) will be an experience but I can't wait, very excited to get out and about outside the main tourist areas.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Reply to: Feb 2018 trip - self driving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted