We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping on Ao Nang

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
331 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping on Ao Nang

I was thinking that Ao Nang would be a desserted place of sun and sand, but at sunset, the street stalls are setup and the bargaining begins. After about 9pm the place starts to close up for the night.

Whilst the range of clothes and gear is not as big as Bangkok, it makes for pretty good shopping.

What to buy?

DVD's/CD's etc - 100bht, expect to get 1 free for every 10.

Silk table runners - price is on size, take about 1/3 off the starting price.

Carved soap - looks pretty, but what to do with it other than give it to your mother in law?

Handbags - great range of fabric casual handbags.

Sunglasses - genuine fakes at around 350bht.

Lots of wooden stuff and lacquerware - although do you really want to contribute to chopping down the rainforests?

T-Shirts and the usual beach clothing options - well priced.

Cushion covers - about 100bht each buys some great options.

Silverware - not bad options, but you need to know your stuff.

Whats a tad annoying?

Lots (too many) Tailors - all offering to perform miracles with cloth and thread.

Something to keep your energy up?

There are a few pancake stalls along the roads - try the pancake with banana at 15bht. Fantastic!

Australia
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping on Ao Nang

Thanks Jiffy2006 for your post,

I could definitely go a banana pancake right now - haven't had a banana for months!!!

Can I ask where you stayed in Ao Nang and if you ventured over to Railey at all?

We are thinking of staying on Railey next March.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Nicky

Sydney
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping on Ao Nang

Totally agree with Jiffy2006...just got back yesterday.

Felt like I was walking down the street as I read the review!

Bought a couple of cushion covers and lived on pancakes!YUM!

we stayed at the Pakasai resort, wouldn't rate this hotel but we had a fantastic time.

Went fishing with a local on a long tail...caught a metre barracuda and a few tuna!This was such a buzz and a great way to see the amazing scenery.

Walked over the cliff to a new resort called Central...would love to go back and stay there, it looked lovely!

Nicola

3. Re: Shopping on Ao Nang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 18, 2009