We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling off beach anywhere in Krabi?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling off beach anywhere in Krabi?

I like to snorkel but don't want to have to go on a boat trip. Are there any hotels where you can just swim out to a reef from the beach? Has anyone done this at Rayavadee, for instance...somewhere we're considering though gasping slightly at the price !!? A lot of the hotel beaches seem to have been reported as having cloudy water.

Krabi Sunset Cruises
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Boat Rentals, Private Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
The Dive Ao Nang
Scuba & Snorkeling
Thalassa Tour
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Andaman Camp and Day Cruise
Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Private Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling off beach anywhere in Krabi?

Hi Xarla, again!

beleive me, take a boat trip to phi phi, the best outside indonesia

u can snorkel around the cliffs at pranangh beach but only so so, water will be very clear in feb.

Raya is expensive but in my opinion its worth it and not nearly as expensive as amanresorts and four seasons in the region.

Just a tip, if you go near samui again, go out to Ko Phangan, stay at palita lodge(being developed at the moment, see www.palitalodge.com) very cheap luxury on the busy beach, but a real find!

Paul

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling off beach anywhere in Krabi?

Thanks for your help Paul. Where would you recommend staying on Phi Phi, or is it all going out on boats?

Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling off beach anywhere in Krabi?

Xarla,

I havent stayed at a hotel on Phi Phi, but I heard a hotel caled Zeavola is very nice www.zeavola.com. I will probably try it next time.

Judging from the last daytrip i had there, there seems to be plenty of new developments

Paul

Buriram, Thailand
Level Contributor
741 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling off beach anywhere in Krabi?

Rayavadee has a few places to snorkel but you won't see much; not because of cloudy water but there just isn't too much in the water there! The Zealvola on Phi Phi opened last year and was featured recently on CNN's Business Traveller programme; it looks lovely and we've been following it's develpoment for a while. I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who's actually stayed there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling off beach anywhere in Krabi?

I have read through the Zeavola reviews too and it looks like the snorkeling is good although a bit crowded with the day trippers. I have yet to make out whether there's any decent karst scenery - the pictures make it look a bit like a Maldives beach. does anyone know I wonder?

Am also wondering if anyone knows the difference between the types of rooms at Rayavadee? are the ones near Phra-nang beach the best for someone who wants to be close to the sea?

Dublin,Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling off beach anywhere in Krabi?

Xarla, do a search for rayavadee and you will see my most recent review. I recommend a pavillion in the Railey zone which is near the main pool and Railey beach. Most if not all the pavillions in the Pranangh zone are hyrdro pool or spa pavillions. I stayed in a pool pav last time which like all the accoms there was lovely, but its jungly and you dont get much sun. I previously stayed at deluxe pav in both nam mao and Railey zone and I highly recommend Railey.

Unless you are travelling as a family group and your budget can stretch to a villa!

7. Re: Snorkelling off beach anywhere in Krabi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, August 19, 2009