We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger temple by songathew?

england
Level Contributor
45 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Tiger temple by songathew?

Is it possible to get to tiger temple by public songathew from Krabi town, and if so which one should you get and would coming back be easy?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,952 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger temple by songathew?

Do you mean the Tiger Cave Temple? It's 8 km northeast of the Krabi town, so you would need to hire a taxi probably, there's a lot of steps to get up to it.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiger temple by songathew?

Not sure about songthaew as we rode bikes. 1230 +\- steps up to Buddha's footprint but the view makes it all worthwhile. You need a couple of hours there for the climb and to explore the caves and temple.

Krabi
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger temple by songathew?

Hi'

From krabi town you can get the red one (car - songthew) that is public then you tell driver go to tiger cave. when you finish at tiger cave you must wait for the but again but am not sure what time they come again. because songthew should be drive only on the main road in krabi town and not turn to some place if no tourist request. i see some tourist wait for longtime. or other way when finish at tiger cave you can ask motorcycle go to the main road and then you can get back to krabi by songthew (red car) again.

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiger temple by songathew?

Yes, I have done it and saved myself approx. 1,000 baht and did it on my own schedule. Here's how to get to Tiger Temple from Ao Nang:

in Ao Nang go out to the main road ( there's only one I think) and flag down a white songthew, make sure its not a "tuk-tuk" or some other taxi. Public songthews have big sign in the front-" Krabi town- Ao Nang", etc You pay the driver once you get off. Tell him you are going to Krabi town and he's going to charge you 50 baht when you get off ( near 7-eleven in Krabi town). Once you get off at 7-eleven, cross the road and wait for the red songthew. There are a bunch of locals who will tell you that they can take you to tiger temple for 100 baht, or will point to some purple songthew- ignore them. Wait for the public red colored songthew, and tell the driver " outside tiger temple" He will understand and should charge you only 20 baht. First time I was told 100 baht by the public driver, and I said no, then he goes " ok 50 baht" and I took his offer and turned out her ripped me off! I was only supposed to pay 20 baht, but its not that much money so I did not worry. So once you get on the red songthew, look to your left on the hills, you'll see the Golden Buddha on one of the, this is the temple you are going to. The driver will drop you off at the intersection of a huge road and a smaller one. Once you get off, c ross that big road and walk along the smaller one to the temple. It might seem far, but its only 20 mins, trust me. once you get to the bottom of Tiger temple, there's a free public bathroom ( bring your own toilet paper!), and you'll see the sign "1,200- something steps" and a lot of monkeys. Be aware of the monkeys- I've personally seen them just on a woman and try to get in her bag! Hold you camera, phone, bottle of water, etc! Once you are ready to get back, just walk along the same road- ignore all motorists asking you where you are going ( again- rip off), and cross the big road and wait for the red songthew. You have to raise your hand for the driver to stop, and tel him you are going to krabi town. On the way back I got charged 20 baht and he took me to the bus terminal, where I transferred to white sognthew and paid 60 baht to take me back to Ao Nang. Overall, my trip was less than 200 baht, and I was on my own schedule! Compare it with 1,200 baht offers you receive from tour agencies around Ao Nang with rigid schedule. Hope this helps :) enjoy!!

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiger temple by songathew?

Well done Natalia! :)

6. Re: Tiger temple by songathew?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 25, 2014