We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight timing - unusual question i think

Which Krabi Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
surrey
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
flight timing - unusual question i think

hi guys.

pretty strange post, but here goes. im fly london - bangkok,

i land in bangkok at 15:05. im then heading straight to koh lanta, obviously via a flight to krabi.

my question is this, as i land at 15:05, would it be feasible to catch the 17:20 flight with bangkok air to krabi?

i have been bangkok before and found the airport pretty quick and organized, but am i taking a risk trying to get my luggage and get on another flight within 2 hours?

this flight is with bangkok air, i have found a flights that is 17:40, but is a bit more money, so would be good to get the 17:20 one

would be really helpful if any of you have done this or just general advice of experienced travelers who are familiar with these routes.

many thanks for your time.

jonathan

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,901 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight timing - unusual question i think

Could be worth checking with Thai you may be able to route your bags straight through.

In theory you should be able to do it but of course there is always a risk of your flight being delayed etc.

What is the absolute cut off time for check in with Bangkok air?

Bellaria-Igea...
Level Contributor
12,810 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight timing - unusual question i think

I would take a later flight. Two hours is enough if there won't be a minimum of delay. Is it worth to gamble?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight timing - unusual question i think

You could also check AirAsia. They have a flight that departs at 18:05

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight timing - unusual question i think

Hi,

Be aware that air Asia fly from a different airport.

Cheers

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight timing - unusual question i think

Agree, 18:05 AirAsia woud not work better. Transfer time too long.

If the flight is on time (and long haul usually are) you will have plenty of time.

Landing 15:05. Luggage 15:45. Check-in 16:00.

if something does wrong, sure there will be a problem, but maybe even with the 17:40 flight.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
799 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flight timing - unusual question i think

I think you should approach Bangkok Air and explain your situation so that they can better advise and assist you.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,517 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight timing - unusual question i think

Hi,

I'd work this one backwards by the timeline..

Bangkok Air sets a deadline of :40 to planned departure time for check-in cut-off.. and that cut-off means both you and your bags are checked in, tagged and tendered to the carrier.. So even if you use online check-in (OLCI) you still need to get your checked baggage to them by this :40 cut-off..

So, based on a 17:20 flight, that deadline is 16:40..

Your inbound flight from London arrives at 15:05 (and I'm assuming it's on-time, not late or early).. It will take you between :40+/- and :60 tops to get off the plane, to immigration, thru immigration, reclaim your bags and clear Customs..

So, based on an assumed on-time arrival of 15:05, it should be between 15:45 and 16:05..

Only a few minutes-- about :05 tops-- to get from the 2nd floor where all arrivals take place, upstairs to the 4th floor, where all departure activities take place..

So, now it's going to be around 15:50 to no later than 16:10

Therefore, Bangkok Air's deadline is 16:40 (:40 before a 17:20 flight) and you can expect to be done with inbound processes and upstairs in the departures area around 15:50 to 16:10-- therefore, your margin for error or late arrival is going to be about :50 to as little as :30 minutes..

That's do-able, but like others note, leaves you only about :30 tops for a late arrival into BKK before you start to run a real risk of missing Bangkok Air's deadline.

Only you can say whether or not that's an acceptable risk for you given all the related issues like re-booking fees and other plans already in place in once you land in Krabi.

Travel Safe,

surrey
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight timing - unusual question i think

many thanks for all your replies, iv since found a thai air 17:40 flight, so that gives me 2.40 mins to get on my krabi bound flight.

did look at air Asia, its really cheap, but cant be bothered to go to another airport after the journey from London.

all the best guys and happy new year.

jonathan x

9. Re: flight timing - unusual question i think

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 03, 2014