We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
4 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

hi guys.. i just rent a motorcycle and giving my passport. 20 minutes after the rental, I was getting involved in the accident. Well, it was a self accident. It was raining and the road is slippery, when I emergency break, the motorcylce just out of control.

The result are i got minor injuries... and the bike got scrathes.. at one side only...

so... how much i need to pay for the scrathes? or maybe should i got to the motocycle workshop and get it fix ?....

need your opinion...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

Do NOT repair the m/c without the owners permission. That could cause more problems. You'll basically have to pay whatever they demand - and you should NEVER (as mentioned here endlessly) leave your passport with any business. Its illegal and you're required under Thai law to carry it at all times.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

as tony said, you are now at the mercy of the renter

they will keep your p/port until you pay so all you can do is try to bargain the price down if they want big money

don,t lose your temper, grovel a bit

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

Here are some prices that I got quoted, when I inquired prior to rental, for a 250 cc Kawasaki Motocross bike. They are for the replacement with new parts. But you should not be surprised if you get charged a lot more and most workshops will probably decline to repair the bike.

Cost (parts and labour) for broken parts: mirror - 700 THB, turn indicator light- 150 THB, plastic shrood engine - 1000 THB, grip - 200 THB, front fender - 1200 THB, another plastic parts - 500 - 800 THB, clutch/front brake - 300 THB, shift /brake pedal - 500 THB.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

genuine japanese parts are incredibly expensive

i bet they source parts from vietnam though

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

I fear this isn't going to end well but let us know the outcome.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

@andy53

The bikes, from the guy I rent, are 2012 models and he is using original parts as replacements.

The big difference is that he does not want to make a profit out of accidents. He only wants to recover actual costs.

Feel free to verify it yourself through the contacts on his homepage http://en.thai-moto.com/

And here is some footage of the bike I rented last time. Though I was riding the same stretch many times with it, this footage isn't one of my own rides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JqIsc1XpHE

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
815 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

@mytravellicious

Which company did you rent the bike from?

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

Edit: Ups wrong reply -therefore deleted.

Edited: 6:34 pm, December 10, 2012
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

Hi

Do as tony says NEVER in any circumstance fix the bike without the owner permissions. Ours friends have motorbike rentals in koh Samui and I can tell you they will know and they can tell if you have been mess about with their bike.

I hope the guys you rent the bike from are not one of those..you know what I mean.

Good luck

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much to pay for minor damage to rental motocycle?

I ALWAYS send my friends to Mrs Wan (on the hill near Irish Rover). Have done so for 10 years and when there have been a few minor scrapes / broken plastic wings, she is very fair with her repair charges.

The shop opposite is quite different - notoriously overcharging.