We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

Which Krabi Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

Hi there its me again just completed a trip report for Bangkok (28th Nov – 16th Dec) in the BKK forum. Now its time for the second leg of my holiday...Krabi

We Land in Krabi and its like being in Barbados (palm trees blue skies). After the hustle and bustle of BKK this is what we needed. Our base for 5 nights was the Krabi Thai Village. Great location along a quiet road off the main strip in Ao Nang. Nice rooms if a little dark but we weren’t staying in our rooms all day. Usual facilities, fridge, AC ceiling fan, free safe. Large balcony overlooking one of the 3 pools. Breakfast was a bit disappointing but we didn’t starve. Outside the hotel there are a few restaurants and a mini mart. A little advice - if you need to iron don’t do it through the hotel as they are expensive and charge per item. Go to the pizza restaurant down the road where they charge per kg plus you are giving custom to a local business. KTV is 5 mins from the main strip of Ao Nang where there are loads of shops, restaurants and of course the beach. The hotel's location means you are guaranteed peace and quiet at night.

Look for Wangsai Seafood Restaurant, (10 mins slow walk from hotel) at the quieter end of AN with views of the beach and nearby islands. Please tip the staff, they do not earn much and are so grateful. My heart bled as I watched a young waitress wait on a couple only to watch them count their Thai money in front of her then leave without leaving a tip. According to the guide books they say to tip 20 baht which is something like 33p, I thought this was nothing so gave more it is pennies to us westerners.

The rest is similar for any beach holiday, lots of sun, plenty of shopping and tons of Thai food at disgustingly cheap prices. We had chicken wings BBQ style for 20 baht!!!! You’ve got to try pancakes, so light and fluffy with any filling you like for 20 baht.

We took a boat trip to Railey Beach for the day (180 baht each return), limestone rocks, clear blue water, white sands…..beautiful. Follow the signs to Railey East (or West I can’t remember) for a different view. Other day trips include Chicken Island, Poda Island, Phi Phi.

Ao Nang is safe to walk around at night the shops are open until late and there are plenty of tourists around. After a while the “you want massage, suit and where are you from” gets a bit tired but just smile, say no and keep walking.

Next stop Phi Phi

Charms

x

london
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

Hi Charms,

lovely report and very useful thanks! Going to Krabi thai village in April -and I hope it will be OK. Could you tell us what was wrong about the breakfast? not enough or quality? Are all the rooms dark? Does it worth upgrading to an executive room? Also I saw a few reports saying the beach of Ao Nang was dirty is it true? We are both big fans of snorkelling should we go to Phra Nang?

Thanks for answering.

Nad

Perth
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

What an informative post, Thanks for the tip on tipping! We are leaving tomorrow and looking forward to trying these chicken wings that everyone raves about.

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

Glad you enjoyed your stay here! Just one point, Krua Thara is better than Wangsai - its our regular little spot, and the seafood is not only fresher but cheaper too!

Just jump in a Samlor and tell them - they should all know. it's down the end of Nopparat Thara beach near the national park

London
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

Hi Seign001

There was nothing wrong with the standard rooms at KTV its just that with the dark wood furniture it make the rooms seem dark, a few more light bulbs would be nice. The rooms were clean and comfortable bathroom has a large shower and bath. Personally I wouldn't bother upgrading.

As for breakfast, I guess I was spoilt by the presentation and choice at the Landmark in Bangkok. At KTV you get the usual choice of fresh fruit, salad, eggs how you like it, bread, bacon etc. the only comment i have is the "squash" like orange and pineapple juice. They cater more for the western pallet ie no miso soup or congee which I loved. Like I said we didn't starve and I'm just fussy :)

The beach at Ao Nang is not dirty or polluted its just an average beach and stretches for quite a distance. I didn't see many people snorkelling. A quick trip to Railey Beach or one of the islands will satisfy your snorkelling needs.

Charms

x

london
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

Thanks for the extra details Charms! I guess I will go to the islands around then for the snorkelling...

good luck with the rest of your journey (if you are not back yet?????)

x

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

Great report, loved reading, brought back fond memories.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

Great report Charms, we also enjoyed Wangsai seafood (but will definately go to Krua Thara as well next visit).

Cathy

London
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

Hi Cathy,

I've seen your Far East website with loads of tips that have helped me plan my trips. I especially like the section on shopping ohhh and the bags :) Off to Phuket in April and will be taking an empty suitcase ;)

Charms

xx

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

Hi Charms, Thanks for your informative report, we are taking notes hoping to get there next year. We did Phuket and Samui last year, so definitely want to get to Krabi next time.

Lee

10. Re: Krabi trip report 5th -10th Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 17, 2009