We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monsoon weather

Which Krabi Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
peterborough
8 posts
Save Topic
monsoon weather

can anyone help?

I've read such mixed reports on the weather in Krabi in June.

Is it a good time to visit? we are planning two weeks on the mainland and then travel over to Phi Phi Island. Will the sea be too choppy? Will it be predominantly overcast? Help!!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: monsoon weather

Best time to visit is November/December to April time, though during the rainy season hotel rates are very very cheap!

You 'are' going in the rainy season so that has to be expected, but hope you get lucky!

perhaps someone down there can advise you with on the spot weather at the moment as of course weather varies day/day and week/week.

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: monsoon weather

Hi Monica4 - just to set things straight - our 'Rainy' Season is pretty much the whole of September and half of October.

There is a common misconception that it rains from May Til October (thanks to Lonely Planet!), but this is not the case.

At the moment, it is hot and sunny in the daytime and we get the occasional late afternoon shower which cools things off - so is most welcome!!

peterborough
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: monsoon weather

thank you very much, this is what I was hoping!

Would you recommend Rayavadee? This is where we are considering spending our honeymoon.

Lichfield, England
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: monsoon weather

Hi Blondie,

We had a couple of weeks at Rayavadee in 2005 and it's a fabulous hotel. But, a word of warning, it's beaches are very busy, lots of hawkers and day trippers. We were in Krabi in March and hired a speedboat for the day. We'd planned to stop off at Rayavadee on the way back to our hotel for a quick drink but when we saw the crowds we didn't bother! I'm just concerned that if you're looking for the deserted beach feel you aren't going to get it there! If that doesn't matter to you then go for it. If it does matter to you have a look at the Tubkaak, a haven of peace and tranquility....

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: monsoon weather

i too would recommend The Tubkaak over the Rayavadee - much more tranquil. and they do great half board deals through some agents....overall better value than Rayavadee

peterborough
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: monsoon weather

Hi Kate and Lost Farang,

Thank you for your advice. I have checked out the Tubkaak and it looks gorgeous; and probably considerably cheeper than the rayavadee. What we may do is have a few days at the Rayavadee; stay at Phi Phi Island for a couple of days and then spend the rest of the holiday at the Tubkaak.

Can't wait!

Lichfield, England
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: monsoon weather

Hi Blondie,

that's sounds like the perfect plan. One more comment, go for a sea view room at the Tubkaak. When you see the view you'll know why, it's a view to die for!

london
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: monsoon weather

just one small thing, in June the beaches are not as crowded as in March, I was in Krabi two weeks ago, the weather was mostly gorgeous and it was lovely and quiet, nowhere near the crowds on Railay beach that I've seen previously

thanks

peterborough
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: monsoon weather

Thank you all so much for your sound advice, it is very much appreciated!

x

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: monsoon weather

Hi, I just returned from Krabi (Phi Phi) and Phuket this week. Weather rained all day everyday while we were in Phuket but we had clear skies each day on Phi Phi. I think you do need to expect a bit of rain... It is luck of the draw. We found when it was raining we would still be out and about (even in the pool) as it is so steamy...

In regards to crowds this time of year, there are none! We visited Maya Bay and we were the only ones there (apart from the two rangers and our boat driver) for the afternoon. A change from when we have visited before as normally this beach is packed! Also, depending on the island and which direction wind is etc, during this season the water may be not as clear and will be small waves instead of clear still bays. Still good for swimming but some beaches can look very different in the monsoon season.

For your honeymoon on Phi Phi I definately recommend the Pee Pee Island Village. I wouldn't stay anywhere else now we have stayed there.... perfect for a quiet honeymoon. Would not recommend staying anywhere near TonSay Bay now as some of the rebuilding looks like a concrete jungle and the beaches are not as clean. Another great hotel for honeymooners is Zeavola - amazing rooms and very quiet for couples. Great beach too. Holday inn is also on a good beach but is dated and in need of a good revamp. Happy honeymoon!