We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time do we need to see these sights?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How much time do we need to see these sights?

Initially I'd factored in 3 nights in Kanchanaburi but now I am looking to take 1 night from here and add it to the end of our trip which is beach time in Ko Samed, so I have a few questions:

Is two nights enough time (considering we will come by train) to see the bridge, Hellfire Pass, Erawan falls and maybe a bamboo rafting experience? If not which of these would be best to include/exclude bearing in mind we'll have a 3yr old in tow?

Is the trip from Bangkok quicker in a mini van? And would it free us up to do more on our first day if we used this option? I heard the train trip is really great and our son loves the train, hence ppart of the reason for going.

Is the Hellfire Pass walk suitable for a 3 yr old or should we leave this out and visit a museum instead?

Is is possible to combine Hellfire Pass and falls into one day (obviously with a driver) and then do

a rafting experience on the morning before we get the train back to Bangkok or will this just make for a really long day with the return train?

If all this sounds like packing in too much, what would you recommend given that we will have our son with us?

We are planning to be in Kanchaburi for early August and were hoping to include a swim in the falls? Is Erawan suitable if we stay in the shallows? If not, which would you recommend in conjunction with the other items on our itinerary?

Kind regards,

Daniela

Brynmawr, United...
Level Contributor
601 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time do we need to see these sights?

Hi

We went kanchanaburi 2 years ago. We stayed 2 nights and had one full day there. (we arrived in the afternoon of day one and left after lunch on day three) on the first afternoon we relaxed and did very little. On the full day we did a tour with good time travel and this included erawan falls and hell fire pass. The walk at hell fire was a trek but manageable the only thing that maybe an issue for a youngster is getting back up the steps however they do have lots more energy lol.

The waterfall was amazing. We didn't swim as I was stupidly scared of the fish but we did sit in the little waterfalls and relax which was just as good.

We then went to a cave on the side of a railway track and caught the train back. Now you only go one stop on the tour but we decided to stay on the whole way. The tour guide kindly dropped our bags back to our hotel as they were in the mini bus. This may cover the fun train journey for your child. It took an age but we were in no rush.

On the last day we still found time to walk up to the bridge as although we had gone over it in the train it was dark. We also visited the cemetery (my uncle is buried there) and visited one of the museums.

It's really easy to get around if you have limited time.

We would have loved longer but if you don't have it you can still pack a fair bit in.

In termsbof travel there we did the big bus and the minivan. Would never do the minivan again. Was cramped and I really didn't enjoy it.

Sorry for the long reply.

Have a good trip.

Kerrie

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time do we need to see these sights?

Hi

If you have two nights, effectively you have only one full day. If you take the first train to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok, you should arrive at about 10.45 am (unless there are any delays). A mini bus is definitely faster but it can be a bit cramped. Another alternative is the public bus from Southern Terminal. But you should be looking at not being able to do anything on the morning of your arrival.

You could do Erawan, Hellfire Pass and Bamboo Rafting on the same day but you will need to hire a private transport for yourselves. All tours with either do Erawan and either Hellfire Pass or Bamboo Rafting. Or they will do Hellfire Pass and Bamboo Rafting but Sai Yok Noi Waterfalls (which is a very small waterfall) instead.

Another option would be to hire a taxi from Bangkok that will take you straight to Erawan and then to your hotel for check in on your first day. Then the next day you can hire another transport to take you to Hellfire Pass and Bamboo Rafting and Krasae Cave (where you can either walk over the wooden viaduct or take the train if you time your schedule properly). This will leave you with the morning free on your departure day to go to the Bridge of River Kwai, hence it would not be so taxing for your return journey.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
112 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time do we need to see these sights?

As long as you gave a half day in town and one full early start day

Should be fine but you may regret losing that day I'm.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time do we need to see these sights?

thank you so much everyone for your replies. I think we may opt for taxi or bus into Kanchanaburi and train home. We will check out the bridge and have dinner first night in then do Hell Fire pass and Erawan on our full day. What is the difference in cost/time between taxi and a bus?

Thanks everybody!

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time do we need to see these sights?

Hi

A public bus from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi is about 100 baht per person. A taxi however will be in the region of 1500 to 2000 baht (depending on where in Bangkok your hotel is).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time do we need to see these sights?

Thanks everyone,

i have one more question. Do you think we should visit Kanchanaburi before or after Bangkok? We will be in Chiang Mai beforehand so I thought on to Bangkok and then Kanchanaburi but as we are finishing our trip on Ko Samed, coming from Kanchanaburi would make for a very long day unless we overnight in Bangkok but that cuts into the time allowance.

thanks,

Dani

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time do we need to see these sights?

Hi

There is a new bus service directly from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi. This way you can be in Kanchanaburi before Bangkok.

Kanchanaburi...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time do we need to see these sights?

Hi Dani,

First, before one will/could answer most of your questions, what is your budget for this trip to Kan bearing in mind the 3 year old that you have?

Without that info we can go on for hours ..............days.............months.....................do this, or do that etc...............

Win

Edited: 6:42 am, April 22, 2014
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time do we need to see these sights?

Hi Judy,

WIll I loose a day in travel though? That will be quite a distance on the bus, won't it? I looked into flights and thought that wecould get the first flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and then have a bus take us direct. I know it still means we'll not get into Kan before afternoon but I am ok with that. Don't think we'd be very popular with our three year old if we had him on a bus all day.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time do we need to see these sights?

Kan-Win,

I hadn't really thought much about our budget, planning to stay in a low-mid range guest house, possibly organise a driver for a day and eat at local establishments with entry fees on top, I guess. Don't know what this will cost me as I don't know how much a driver will charge or entrance fees yet but at this stage I think 2 nights will be tops in Kan.