We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student, 19, mauled by 400lb tiger at Tiger Temple

Which Kanchanaburi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,132 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Student, 19, mauled by 400lb tiger at Tiger Temple

A 19 year old British student was attacked by a tiger when visiting the Tiger Temple leaving her scarred for life and eight weeks on still cannot walk unaided. Story at dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2407513/Student…

She is quoted as saying she says: ‘In hindsight I had an incredibly lucky escape. I could have lost my leg or worse. The Tiger Temple staff were very upset. They paid for all my treatment in hospital and visited every day. They explained the tiger was just being playful. However, I want to warn others going to Tiger Temple that the animals might not be as docile as they first appear.’

Seemingly the inevitable does happen!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Student, 19, mauled by 400lb tiger at Tiger Temple

Attacks like this will happen again for sure and certain. Next time, the visitor might not live to tell the story.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Student, 19, mauled by 400lb tiger at Tiger Temple

At the end of the day tigers are wild animals and should ALWAYS be segregated from people. She is one lucky person to still be alive.

Kanchanaburi...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Student, 19, mauled by 400lb tiger at Tiger Temple

Hi Arandora,

Thank you very much for your good link and I just posted this on

thaivisa.com/forum/…

I did not mentioned you nor where I got it from.

Lets see what the other side has to say about your very good link and find.

Win

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,132 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Student, 19, mauled by 400lb tiger at Tiger Temple

Hi Win

Thanks for that. I just we can keep the various threads to which this incident has been posted open with sensible comments, neither for or against. I think it is important that TA members who are considering visiting the Tiger Temple are made aware of the potential risk. Then it is upto them.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Student, 19, mauled by 400lb tiger at Tiger Temple

It's not a big surprise, she's lucky that it's just a scar and not worse. Even the infection could have killed her, the bacteria in the big cat's mouths are notoriously dangerous.

I went to Pattaya Crocodile farm last trip, and my gf was particularly keen to have her photo taken with a tiger - I left her to it. Fortunately she had more sense that to pose with the crocodiles, though I was amazed to see some parents let their young children go sit on the crocs back and pose for a photo. These animals are not pets.

16. Re: Student, 19, mauled by 400lb tiger at Tiger Temple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, September 04, 2014