We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanchanaburi to Krabi

Which Kanchanaburi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Placerville...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Topic
Kanchanaburi to Krabi

Can anyone suggest the best way to get from kanchanaburi to Krabi without going through Bangkok?

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,688 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanchanaburi to Krabi

Hi,

It is possible but involves a long journey overland by rail (part of the way) or by bus which will involves a change or two. We did it a couple of years ago but took an afternoon flight on Air Asia from Bangkok to Krabi.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,192 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanchanaburi to Krabi

Sure. Bus to Ratchaburi. Change to bus going way down the coast to Chumphon. Then take the bus that crosses the peninsula to Ranong on Highway 4 and then goes down the west coast to Krabi. I'm not sure if you'd have to change again at Ranong. You'd see a lot of southern Thailand for sure.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,688 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanchanaburi to Krabi

Hi,

There are frequent buses to Ratchaburi (from Kanchanaburi) and perhaps you can get a bus from there directly to Krabi. Also, do inquire at the travel agents in Kanchanaburi since they sell tickets for a number of destinations.

Kanchanaburi...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanchanaburi to Krabi

You have a choice of public bus as mentioned in the above postings or by train from Nakhon Pathom. Take the train to Chumphon and then the rest of the way by bus to Krabi.

Kanchanaburi...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanchanaburi to Krabi

Hi Jenn259,

Quote "Sure. Bus to Ratchaburi. Change to bus going way down the coast to Chumphon. Then take the bus that crosses the peninsula to Ranong on Highway 4 and then goes down the west coast to Krabi. I'm not sure if you'd have to change again at Ranong" Un-quote

The Ranong way is mostly twists and turns and takes a long time. With that then another bus to Phuket or if you are lucky one direct to Krabi !

I would go as far as Surat Thani then take a bus to Krabi. There is the road 44 (new road, about 4 years or more) which I travelled on in my car, but never seen a bus on that road, which is a more direct route and still with some good views as well.

Road 44 goes from near Krabi to near Don Sak going to Koh Samui as it is

Quote "part of the landbridge project connecting the Gulf of Thailand with the Andaman Sea. Unlike other highways there are no crossing intersections, the wide space between the two lanes is reserved for pipeline and railway." Un-quote.

There are buses for Surat Thani to Krabi via Phuket also.

Win from Kan

Edited: 5:42 am, July 31, 2013
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,192 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanchanaburi to Krabi

Win from Kan: Point taken about the road from Chumphon to Ranong being slower. Since I've only been on it on a bus in the middle of the night, I defer to your local knowledge. (However I found that surprising because what I recall of that route was only straight 6-lane highways. Maybe I was sleeping when we went over the slow part.)

I DO know though, that there is a bus from Ranong direct to Krabi (via Pang Nga). I've taken it.

7. Re: Kanchanaburi to Krabi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 02, 2014