We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Thailand - River Kwai Jungle Rafts

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to Thailand - River Kwai Jungle Rafts

We (2 adults & 11 yo daughter) will be staying one night on the River Kwai Jungle Rafts. I'm hoping someone can answer some questions for me:

1. We will be there in mid April - is it too hot to stay there with no air con?

2. How much are the massages?

3. We are looking at purchasing a package which includes return transfers from Bangkok Hotels along with all meals. - Is it better to do this or make our own way there?

4. Is it possible to have an elephant ride while we are there

5. There is a train that I've seen in some brochures - what is the name of it and where does it go?

Thanks for helping us to plan our first trip to Thailand :)

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,379 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Thailand - River Kwai Jungle Rafts

Hi,

I would take a room with an AC, do bear in mind that you will be there around the hottest time of the year. Unable to comment on the cost of a massage but if you make your own way to the River Kwai Jungle Rafts it will be much cheaper than the package you mention. Indeed, it is possible to travel there by rail (Death Railway). There are two daily departures from Bangkok (Thonburi) at 07.50 and 13.55 arriving at Nam Tok 12.35 and 18.30. From Nam Tok station I recommend that you arrange for the hotel to pick you up. Again, contact the hotel regarding the nearest Elephant Camp.

You are travelling a long way for just one night.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Thailand - River Kwai Jungle Rafts

From memory (went a long time ago), the floating rafts don't have electricity/air conditioning

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

However, even in April, you're in the river and that keeps it cool. That, and jumping/swimming in the river which is great fun. We really liked this place, and would recommend taking a trip up the river and floating back down to the rafts.

It was too long ago to remember the prices of the massages, but email/facebook them:

http://www.riverkwaijunglerafts.com/

and they should be able to tell you exactly.

Once you get there, you don't really have a choice about meals as there isn't really anything else around. As mentioned above, travel will be much cheaper doing it yourself, especially if you use the scenic (death) train and its not far to arrange transport to the rafts. If you're on the train in April, it is hot, so take some cold drinks on.

They have elephants in the Mon village next to the floating rafts and you'll probably be woken up by the elephants bathing in the river next to the rafts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmBWBxaO1jY

You can walk to the village where you can take a ride. Again, email/facebook the floating rafts and they'd be able to give you a price.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,379 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Thailand - River Kwai Jungle Rafts

Hi,

A quick look at their website revealed that there is no electricity and 'the floating rooms are cooled by the river passing underneath'. If you do take the train the cost of a ticket is 100 baht and you will encounter people selling cold drinks aboard.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Thailand - River Kwai Jungle Rafts

Hi Everyone, thanks for your suggestions. I think we will try and take the Death Railway as this will allow us to see the beautiful scenery on the way there.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Thailand - River Kwai Jungle Rafts

Sounds like you're planning well ahead of time, which is good. You don't say when in April you're travelling, but I presume you know about Songkran 12-15 April?

Also, have a think about how you travel/what you see in Kanchanaburi. The Nam Tok railway is good, but it will be 5+ hours from Bangkok in the heat (no air con).

www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm

Good scenery & cheap, but it will be hot in April? Also, note the special train at weekends which would allow a bit more sightseeing at Nakon Pathom and the bridge.

Not too far from Nam Tok and the the jungle rafts are Erawan waterfalls and Hellfire pass, both good and each could fill up ~1/2 day. You'd need to organize transport to get there, but this is easy to do.

You're obviously planning to relax a bit at the rafts, the only regret we had was that we only stopped one night.

6. Re: First Trip to Thailand - River Kwai Jungle Rafts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 14, 2014