We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from bangkok airport to Kanchanburi

Romford Essex
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
transport from bangkok airport to Kanchanburi

ok some answers on here are a bit outdated and costs could have risen so flying next week what transfer options and costs involved are there?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,882 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport from bangkok airport to Kanchanburi

Hi,

The most expensive/convenient option is to take a limo from the airport:

orientalescape.com/thailand/…bangkok.html

Other than a limo you could take an air con bus, mini bus or train. The air con buses leave the Southern Bus Terminal (Sai Tai) on a regular basis, I can't remember the cost but certainly no more than 150 baht (£3). If you decide to take a bus your best bet is to get a taxi to Sai Tai from the airport. Maximum cost 450 baht. However, you can take the Airport Rail Link to Makkasan station and from there the 556 city bus for Sai Tai. In total it will cost about 80/90 baht a person if you use the slower city link train.

There are mini buses from Sai Tai and Victory Monument but these are a bit cramped. There is also a train which departs twice a day from Thonburi station.

My preferred option is the air con bus which takes about 2.5 hours from Bangkok.

Edited: 2:21 pm, January 17, 2013
leigh
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport from bangkok airport to Kanchanburi

The local train is easy. It was a great journey and a lovely experience- I'd definitely recommend it.

Durham, England
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport from bangkok airport to Kanchanburi

Taxi from the airport is 2000bt

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport from bangkok airport to Kanchanburi

Hi, you did not mention which airport but I am assuming that it is Suvarnabhumi airport you are referring to. If you are one or two persons, best is to go to the taxi level and get a taxi there. Price is in the range of 1,500 to 2,000 baht - also depends on whether you are asked to pay toll or not. Anyway toll is pretty cheap, about 100 baht in total (if they take the full toll roads).

Another option is to book via your hotel in Kanchanaburi. A mini van pickup will be about 2,400 baht.

These are of course the expensive options but then if you do not mind lugging around your luggage, then by all means go with the taxi and public bus option. The train is not advisable as there are only two trains that comes to Kanchanaburi and the times are 7.45am and 1.55pm. Please note that the station is Thonburi and not Hualumpong.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,882 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport from bangkok airport to Kanchanburi

Hi,

The train journey is the most scenic/exciting way to travel to Kanchanaburi. Note the departure times mentioned by judyksp above. The scheduled travel time is about 2.5 hours but can be a lot longer due to delays.

While I haven't taken a taxi from the airport directly to Kanchanaburi I did inquire a few months ago and little interest was shown. However, I have taken a taxi from Bangkok proper and the driver got lost on the way. So, should you take a taxi from the airport make sure you have the hotel name and address written in Thai along with a telephone number, just in case.

As suggested by judksp another good option is to arrange for your hotel to transport you to Kanchanaburi.

Should you travel by bus you will almost certainly need a taxi/songtaow (pick up truck used as taxi) from the bus station to your hotel. Indeed, the moment you get off the bus you will be approached by people offering their services. Typically, expect to pay in the region of 60 to 100 baht depending on where your hotel is located.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport from bangkok airport to Kanchanburi

Train for me everytime. It is arrives a bit late then so be it, you've still got a seat, got lots of local life going on around you, and great views.

The journey by road is so boring!

Durham, England
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport from bangkok airport to Kanchanburi

Good point by AjarnAndy, make sure you have the hotel phone no. handy as most airport taxi drivers will not have been there, done it many times and always had to give them directions.

8. Re: transport from bangkok airport to Kanchanburi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 21, 2014