We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recovering from a fractured ankle

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Recovering from a fractured ankle

Hi,

My husband and I will be visiting Kanchanaburi for 2 nights but only 2 full days. We are planning to stay for 1 night in town and 1 night near Nam tok/Sai Yok.

We will be arriving Kan in the adternoon and probably see a little bit of the town area. In the morning, catch the train to Nam tok and see Sai Yok and thinking of Hellfire Pass.

However, since I'm recovering from a fractured ankle which I sustained in February

and reading that Hellfire is 8kms hike from museum both ways, I am now not sure if I can manage that. Can somebody please advise if we can do it another way (bike, tuk tuk, moped?)

Also, is it adviseable for me to visit Sai Yok falls, or Erawan given my condition?

Would it be better & safer for me to book a tour instead of attempting to do these ourselves?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recovering from a fractured ankle

You shouldn't visit the watefalls as there is a bit of rough walking involved.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recovering from a fractured ankle

Hi,

If you are in any doubt I wouldn't chance the walking/hiking up to the waterfalls. The walk along the Hell Fire Pass is 8 kms in total from the museum and back. You don't have to walk the whole route though. It is possible to walk down to where the railway line used to be and walk along it for a short distance. It takes a few minutes but it is quite steep. From Nam Tok you can take a bus to the Hell Fire Pass. You could also arrange for a taxi/songtaow.

I hope this helps for a start.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recovering from a fractured ankle

Thanks for the advice guys! I will probably give the falls a miss this time. Here's still hoping though as I still have 3 months to see how my ankle recovers by then.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recovering from a fractured ankle

Hi,

I hope that your ankle is much better then so you will be able to appreciate everything there is to be seen. Another option:

If you stay in Nam Tok you could arrange transport to the Hellfire Pass museum, have a look around and then walk down to where the rail line used to be. Indeed, you can walk along for only 2.5 kms to the pickup point where the driver can meet you.

5. Re: Recovering from a fractured ankle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, June 21, 2013