We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Malta
Level Contributor
64 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

I m planning my trip to thailand which is in 4 weeks time , im struggling to get plan organised for my first few days .

We arrive in Bangkok around 6pm local time, and plan is to visit Kanchanaburi for two days and then go back to Bangkok to get night train to chaing mai

so my questions are ,

which location is best to stay in Bangkok so that in the morning we can leave for Kanchanaburi ?

We would like to take a bus to Kanchananburi , which bus terminal is best ?

What s the best time to leave Kanchanburi to catch the night train from Bangkok to chaing mai ,

Quite a few questions there but seems im going round in circles and not getting anywhere close to plan it

Any help would really be appreciated

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,638 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Hi,

Most of the buses for Kanchanaburi leave from Sai Tai, the Southern Bus Terminal although there are 3 or 4 buses that leave from Mo Chit early in the morning.

To play safe I would leave Kanchanaburi at least 4 hours before the departure of your night train to Chiang Mai since you will also need to travel from the bus terminal in Bangkok to the main railway station.

I shall let others suggest a good place to stay near the bus station in Bangkok. Personally, I would advise a place on Ko San Road but other contributors may have better ideas.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

I would stay in the Khao San Road area and catch a taxi the next morning to the bus terminal. There is a hotel called the The Royal City Hotel closer to the bus but it's reviews are not so great. In my opinion the KS area is a nicer introduction to Bangkok if you havent been before than a not so good hotel out in the suburbs.

Its easy to get a taxi in Bangkok and they are cheap (make sure they put the metre on). Also be mindful that peak hour will make the trip slower. The a/c first class buses run from 4:00 AM to 10:00 PM - every 20 minutes so no need to rush.

I have done the return trip by bus (caught the train to Kanchanaburi) left our guest house mid morning, short wait at bus terminal then a comfortable 2 hour trip. We then caught a taxi to Hualamphong train staion, checked our bags into the luggage storeage area then as we were so early went to MBK and shopped for hours. Caught a taxi back to the station at around 5pm (traffic was buidling up) and had plenty of time to have a snack and buy food and drink for the train ( there was a really nice bakery inside the terminal ). Just to be safe I wouldnt leave any later than around 2pm.

Kanchanaburi is a beautiful area....just loved it.

Malta
Level Contributor
64 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Hello , thanks for reply, infact reading reviews on TripAdvisor most of them state that there were delays.

Also found a website www.seat61.com , which is very useful .Reading the info on web site decided to opt for train to kanchanaburi

getting really excited for this trip although still a lot of planning as still need to plan chaing Mai and a visit to the islands.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Hi there

We loved the train trip but the train was delayed and took some 4 or 5 hours to get there which was fine as we had plenty of time, from talking to our guest house owner its a common occurance. I got all my info from

Seat61 too...accurate and very helpful.

I wrote a JBR after our trip which might be helpful:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297924-i10380-…

Have fun planning and a great trip and let us know how it all went.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,638 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

As noted above the train is frequently late but it is a lovely journey. Please be aware that the rail station for Kanchanaburi is in Thonburi. There are also special excursion trains on the weekend.

Malta
Level Contributor
64 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Thanks again for helpful replies , so much to read that it makes me look forward but like i said im getting confused

hopefully all goes well :) still need to plan chiang mai and islands ...lol

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Guess by the time I post this, you would have gone to Chiang Mai and back. Anyway just to let everyone know, the best way to travel from Bangkok to Kanchananburi and back is by Airport rail from Suvanabumi to Phayathai station, costing only 45 bahts. Then from Phayathai either a short walk to Victory Monument, or the BTS train costing 15 bahts. At Victory Monument, there are many mini buses to various parts of Thailand. The one going to Kanchananburi cost only 120 bahts in air con comfort.

Takes only 2 to 3 hours depending traffic congestions etc.

I travel there once every month.

There are many hotels in Kanchananburi ranging from 380 bahts to 2000 bahts depending on your preference.

There are at least 7 golf courses there, all around 1 hour travelling time.

Many massage parlours with cheap and good services.

Edited: 5:26 am, July 01, 2012
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Hi we are planning on doing a day trip to Kanchaburi from Bangkok this Saturday and I was wondering if anyone had some information on the weekend train excursion trip. Many thanks

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,638 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Hi there,

If you are presently in Bangkok ask at the travel agent/office attached to your hotel regarding the rail tickets.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to and from bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Thanks AjamAndy - I am now in Bangkok and will ask our hotel re the tickets