We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tiger temple

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tiger temple

Hi,

i heard that tiger temple is one of the 'must go' places in thailand.

i am going to be in krabi in the few days and i would appreciate if somebody could tell me how to get from krabi to this tiger temple.

is it far?(we are going to rent a car in krabi)

thank you

viki

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tiger temple

It's very far, maybe a 10 hour drive. It's probably a 2 hour bus ride from Bangkok.

It's in Kanchanaburi...nowhere near Krabi.

Having been to the temple, I wouldn't make such a far trip to go there.

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: tiger temple

thanks a lot for your reply.

actually i will be also in bangkok so probably it will be easier to travel from there.

do you know if it is easy to buy some organised trip?

thanks,

viki

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tiger temple

I took a bus to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok and got an organized trip out to the temple from town. You might be able to find a nonovernight trip in Bangkok if it leaves early in the morning (maybe 6 or 7 AM). It's all very easy to arrange once you're there.

Perth, Western...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tiger temple

Hi Viki,

I've recently returned from visiting Kanchanaburi. I went specifically to see the Tiger Temple because I'd also heard it was worthwhile. I travelled from Bangkok, which is very easy. Catch a taxi to the Southern Bus Terminal (Sai Tai Mai). A public taxi from Suvarnabhumi airport to the Bus Terminal cost me 500 Baht. From the bus terminal purchase a first class ticket to Kanchanaburi (around 100 Baht). This gives you an air conditioned coach with a bottle of water too. The buses run every 15 mins as well, and they are safe and reliable. Plus you get lots of seats because they run so frequently. It takes about 2.5 hours to get there.

Once you get to Kanchanaburi, there's loads of local tour agencies that can take you to the Tiger Temple which is about 45 mins out of town. I went with BT Tours and it was fine. They have a desk at VN Guesthouse, where I stayed, which incidentally is an awesome place right on the river.

I thought the Tiger Temple WAS worth the visit. I know it's quite a controversial attraction, but the tigers seemed very well fed and cared for. I didn't see any signs of abuse, and even though they were on leads, they didn't seem to mind. They were alert and lively - one cub tried to chase some piglets and one of the adults roared whilst I was there. One cub was very placid though - so I can't say for sure if that was just his nature, or if there was something else behind it. Overall, I think the tigers are being cared for. There is certainly also evidence of the conservation island being built - and compared to other zoos I've seen, this is definitely a better place to go to. Plus it's better than leaving orphaned cubs to die bacuse their mothers are poached. There's lots of tourists around of course, but it's still very thrilling to be able to get so close to such a beautiful creature. Plus, there's heaps of other animals walking aroudn the grounds which are very interesting too.

Hope this helps!

ipswich england
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tiger temple

im sorry but i have to disagree with the other postings on the tiger temple, its just not natural for tigers to be chained to trees for tourists to stand next to and have their photos taken, sorry but that is just my opion, i visited it january this year and was dissapointed with the living conditions of one of the bears that was subjected to. sorry if this comment puts a dampener on your expectations

6. Re: tiger temple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:00 am, May 19, 2008
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tiger temple

I visited the tiger Temple recently and I have mixed feelings about the place. Part of me felt sorry for the animals, especially the bear, but then again, who am I to judge? I'm glad I went and had a good trip.

The monks took in orphaned tigers and cared for them and just because I don't like the sight of a chained tiger, it doesn't mean that it's wrong. We have lions here at Bristol zoo and I don't like the sight of them in their small enclosure.Nobody seems to complain.

It boils down to the fact that when travelling, we have to understand that other cultures deal with things in a different way to us.I didn't see any signs of cruelty so I simply can't view the place in a negative way.

Chonburi
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: tiger temple

The tiger temple is a "must NOT go" place....read this article from National Geographic.

…nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080620-…

OR

the original....

http://www.careforthewild.com/news.asp?detail=true&I_ID=578&section=Latest+News

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tiger temple

The article quotes a UK based source that has made an unproved allegation. Therefore there is no proof of any mis doings. Proof is required before condemning. These monks do valuable work.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,156 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tiger temple

"being in denial" springs to mind! If the monks are such caring people they must be aware of the criticisms about their altruistic project and should respond appropriately.