We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
105 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay

We would like to stay and relax for approx. a fortnight next year. Any suggestions on self contained accomodation as we may want to cook gluten free food?We are in our 50s and don't need to be near the night life!

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

Hi Kevin, we have just got back from Hua Hin, and this year, we rented a villa through Villa Renters. It was pricey, but more than half the price of two weeks in The Centara. The villa was on Soi 114 - a little way outside the town in the Takiab locality. We hired a car and enjoyed the flexibility that gave us, but always went into town in the evening by tuk tuk; we used the same one and the return trip cost us 300 baht.

Mags

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

Parking in Hua Hin is relatively easy and trouble free and could save you tuk tuk prices. Why pay 900 to 1100 bahts per day on a hire car and then pay 300 bahts for a tuk tuk.? Unless you are drinking a lot of alcohol EVERY night. We used to Park near the Bangkok Hospital on occasions and also on Soi 85, but you can park in the Market Village for free for up to 3 hours if I am not mistaken.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

You've hit the nail on the head Gunrunner! Lol. We always have a drink in the evening (when on holiday) and would never drink and drive in the UK, let alone Thailand. So 300 baht return for a tuk tuk was good value. We paid 800 baht for a car through a local contact - again good value for a brand new Toyota Vios. Agree about the parking by the way.

Mags

London, England...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

H mags

we are going to Hau Hin on the 6th September staying at the Centara. I hope it lives up to the pics and reviews on the website. I am a little concerned about the weather although I read that the showers come and go very quickly. Any tips for trips out and about? Also read about jelly fish so think I will stick to they pool ! Its my 50th birthday treat so want it to be a trip to remember for the right reasons :-)

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

Varies year to year , in general short shower, but you are still in about the driest bech area so that is a plus. There are lots of things to see and do depending on what appeals, nature, culture, coastal areas, wildlife, this has about 150 nice photos and tips on what to see

pinterest.com/beachsiam/…

Edited: 5:50 am, August 19, 2013
Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

Kevin - there are apartments close to town center, kitchens though ca simply be a microwave, so if you are looking for somewhere with a cooking stove you need to check out exactly what cooking facilities there re. There are lots of places around Khao Takiab area

London, England...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay

Thanks for that will take a look :-) sounds great!

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay

Hi Diane - the Centara is a really special hotel, so I think you are there already in terms of a holiday to remember. When we have stayed there, we have found it hard to drag ourselves away. If you haven't already, it is worth (IMO) going for a Club room, particularly if you enjoy a glass or wine or two! The rooms, directly above Reception, facing the sea are fabulous.

In terms of getting out and about, the Hua Hin Vineyard is worth a trip for lunch - you can pick up their shuttle service from Market Village, behind Starbucks. It goes twice a day - 10.30 and 1.30 I think. We actually drove in the end. However, if you do decide to go, I suggest booking the transport place and the talble in advance - one to get the best spot and two, to avoid having to hang around waiting.

We spent time at different beaches this time - you can walk t Koh Takiab along the beach - bit of a hike - and then visit Monkey Mountain. The steps are accessed from the beach. Or, time it with lunch - when you get to the end there is a cafe advertising toilets for 5 baht - go through it and pick up a path that will take you round to a 'fisherman's road' - and there are a couple of shacks where you can choose your fish and they will cook it for you and a more 'established' restaurant.

We fully intended to visit the National Park, but ran out of time. (Will get round to it next Easter). You could hire a driver for the day - we like Mr Roong, but there are plenty to choose from. We also went to Pak Nam Pran, but didn't find what we were looking for, so again will re-visit. However, Mermaid Tours do an Eco boat cruise through the mangroves and that looked great. They do say they will pick up from hotels.

Most of all, we enjoy visiting the different night markets and restaurants - the atmosphere at night takes on a quality of its own.

In terms of the weather, we were a bit disappointed this July - we had expected tropical storms on a day to day basis, but half hoped for blue skies in between. However, the sun didn't come out a great deal, and a part from one day,the rain was a none event - sometimes drizzle or a shower between 7 and 10. Nevertheless, we had a lovely time as I am sure you will.

Mags

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
440 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay

It is Thai Baht Not Thai Bahts !!

London, England...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay

Wow sounds absolutely amazing. I'm all excited now thanks Mags. I will be filling my hubby in with a few additional requests now . Like the idea of the wine tour as we both love a nice glass of wine or two as well. Shame about the sunshine as you say but the magic of Thailand won't be spoilt by the weather will it :-)

Kind regard DI x