We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hua Hin - Just Back Report

Which Hua Hin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Hua Hin - Just Back Report

Firstly, thank to TA forum posters for the Hua Hin information prior to travel. There seems to be quite a few people out there who are really into Hua Hin as a destination. Now I know why!

Have been home from Hua Hin a week today. Spent 5 nights there, staying in a pool villa at Centara, Sat 22nd - Thursday 27 June. Arrived in HH 10am Saturday morning, using Oriental Escape as a transfer between Hualamphong Station Bangkok and Centara Hua Hin. We travelled on the overnight train from Nong Khai to Bangkok. For anyone heading back to Bangkok from Vientiane, Laos, I'd really recommend this transport option. Husband and I loved the train journey, and though we didn't have a quality nights sleep, we really enjoyed the trip.

Car transfer from Hualamphong Station to Hua Hin took 2.5 hours. It was early Saturday morning and our driver Mana commented on the traffic being light at that hour. I had emailed Centara a few days earlier requesting an early check in if possible, an email response suggested the request could not be guaranteed but staff would endeavour to assist if possible. We were lucky to be checked into the pool villa by 10.30am. Thanks Centara!

We chose Hua Hin as a place to relax and refresh after a three and a half week trip in Laos. As self employed farmers we tend to go on holidays exhausted and previous trips we have come home exhausted. This trip we wanted to come home well rested and ready for work. Hua Hin proved perfect for us in this sense. We also chose Hua Hin late June as we wanted to see rain. One day it rained on and off all day, every other day rain fell in the afternoons in heavy bursts. It was still warm and the rain didnt hamper us in any way. We spent a couple of hours one afternoon sitting in Robertos Pizza shop on the corner near Centara watching the road flood. The water level was a bit short of 2 foot on the road. The water didnt stop anybody. Cars, motorbike and bicycles simply rode through it at a slower pace. Locals suggested it was a common experience during and after heavy rain.

As far as getting out and about doing tourist things in Hua Hin, we didn't get all that far. Every morning we were up early and walked along the beach, every afternoon we walked the streets of Hua Hin. One morning we walked to Khao Takib, then walked back. The closer we got to Khao Takiab, the more dogs became evident on the beach. We met a couple of grumpy grouchy dogs to and from Khao Takiab. Also met a grouchy monkey up at the top of Khao Takiab who sat at the top of the stairs and hissed when we tried to get past. We sat and waited till he moved on.

Most nights we enjoyed a beer or two in the Sois near the Hilton Hotel. On the Tuesday night we went to the Thai boxing. I've never been to a boxing match in my life so it was an eye opener. The boxing spectators were a mix of locals and tourists.

We enjoyed our walks to the pier and watched the boats and crews as they unloaded their catch.

Got some clothing made at Hollywood Tailors. Ordered one pair of pants with the idea if I was happy, I'd order more. I was happy with the service and product, hence, ordered more. Husband had a haircut at Chic Salon. He looked for a barber and opted for Chic when he couldn't find one. The wash and quality haircut was ten dollars. The service was great and he was happy.

Some recommendations - Hua Hin Seafoods in the same street as the night market was good. The Moon Terrace, one of the jetty restaurants, was also good. Cold beer and seafood on the beach went down well, tried several beach places and all were good. Loved the food at Salathai, the restaurant in Centara near the pool villas. Enjoyed all the food at the night market where we sat and ate at communal tables set up in the market area.

We considered a trip to the winery but didnt get there. Husband considered a days fishing at the fish farm ponds. Again, didnt get there. We simply walked the beach and streets taking in the vibe of Hua Hin. Swam in the pool at the villa several times daily and basically relaxed the days away. Hua Hin was perfect for us and it provided exactly what we were looking for. Could have easily spent 2 weeks in Hua Hin and we may have got out a bit more.

For those considering Hua Hin, I'd definitely recommend the place.

W Yorks
Level Contributor
203 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hua Hin - Just Back Report

Thank you for your report, it sounds like you have had a lovely time. I am off to Hua Hin myself later this month - can't wait!

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hua Hin - Just Back Report

Nice Report Gale.

Cheers

Sanchit

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hua Hin - Just Back Report

Post holiday blues.... My mind keeps looking back to Thailand and Laos. Planning the next trip already:)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hua Hin - Just Back Report

Thats the best thing o do, as soon as you come back start planning another trip, thanks for the report.

Hua Hin, Thailand
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hua Hin - Just Back Report

Thanks for your nice posting. Hua Hin has so much to offer.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,900 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hua Hin - Just Back Report

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Hua Hin and that info gained from Trip Advisor was usefull to you.

Got to admit I love the laid back feel of Hua Hin

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hua Hin - Just Back Report

I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday Gale.

I know how hard you people on the land work and the hardship you face with not having enough rain. I can understand why you wanted to see some wet weather while most people on holiday want to avoid it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hua Hin - Just Back Report

Hi All

Thanks for feedback

Susan , rain is like money in the bank to us, hopefully some savings for the next trip too. We LOVE seeing rain anywhere and everywhere, we all benefit from it, though I know it's not on everyone's holiday agenda. Have read your posts on your trip too. Looks like you had a grand time.

Cheers

London
Level Contributor
751 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hua Hin - Just Back Report

Great report. Sums up HH. You just go and enjoy life.

Torrevieja, Spain
Level Contributor
250 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hua Hin - Just Back Report

Hi Gale, glad you enjoyed Hua Hin, you did near enough what we do. Enjoy walking the beach in the days & the sois later, never knowing what you'll come across. It certainly has got that something that you can't put into words. Hope everything was ok when you got back, thanks for your jbr. We're off to Kata, Phuket next Feb but always talking about going back to Hua Hin again.

Carol

Get answers to your questions about Hua Hin