We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo middle aged man

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Solo middle aged man

Hi I'm thinking of Hua Hin and possibility the Intercontinental as a place to stay. Not really into the heavy nightlife scene but some entertainment would be nice to have reasonably close. Would this be suitable or all recommendations welcome. thank you

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo middle aged man

Intercontinental is lovely, but you need to get transport to / from town.

I would suggest the Centara Grand ( before was known as Sofitel Centara ) now also part of leading Hotels of the World, superb 5 star, benefit is right on the beach but the other side you are right in the town so walk to restaurants, bars, night marekt etc.

The benefit is not only yhe hotel itself but the great location.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo middle aged man

Thank you Monica for that prompt reply. Ive had a look at the Centara Grand and it does look good, so I will probably go with that one. Is the town fairly active? I know it's not Pattaya but is there some life of an evening?

Thanks again.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo middle aged man

Hi Paul. Hua Hin is a liovely town with a fantastic atmosphere. Great restaurants, bars and night markets, but definately not seedy. I would also recommend the Sofitel - it's a wonderful hotel.

Mags

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo middle aged man

Thank you Mags, I think I'm sold on the Centara then.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo middle aged man

From the Centara it is a couple of minutes walk to the sois where there are lots of bars, pubs, music etc, those sois opposite the Hilton area. So there would be enough choices there.

The night market is always interesting, there are masses of restaurants to choose from, in addition to Thai you will find French, Italian, Japanese, Scandinavian, Indian etc etc.

The surrounding area has national parks, rural areas, golf, water park, floating markets etc

The Hilton also has a large night club

Edited: 4:16 am, July 09, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo middle aged man

I have visited Centara and it was wonderfull.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo middle aged man

Like yourself I have visited Hua Hin as a solo middle aged traveller and hd an absolutely great time, plenty of bars eateries etc without being the 'in your face' style of a lot of the Pattaya bars.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo middle aged man

Yes hua hin is a great place. I did rent a motorbike during my one week stay over there. Motor bike was very convenient for me as I can move around any where very easily and the rental cost was cheap too.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo middle aged man

HH is pretty much the same as Pattaya apart from being far more quiet.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo middle aged man

Another option would be to stay at the Hilton, which is two blocks from the Centara. (I stayed at the Sofitel Centara for its charm.) They both are centrally located.