We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insects at night...

Which Hua Hin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Insects at night...

Hi, we are planning to rent a villa in the Hua Hin area in June and I'm wondering if it will be ok to sit out in the evening? The main reason I'm asking is I'm trying to decide between two villas, one in Khao Kalok which has a large outdoor gazeebo and dining area with gas BBQ / oven and other comfy seating area outside. The other is on the outskirts of Hua Hin (we plan to hire a car) and while it also has a private pool and large gardens it doesn't really have much outdoor living space. As we have never been to Thailnd before we are not sure what to expect... any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insects at night...

I don't know if you have spent time in tropical places.

Some basics though : Lights will attract insects, don't have lights on inside and then leave the doors or windows open as they will be attraced by the light.

Keep doors closed if you plan to sit outside with lights on, but again, they will attract insects.

Coil burners which you can find in shops can be placed under tables outside, but overall it is not a biggy.

If you are staying away from town well certain areas may have more.

If you stay in a villa you may be well away from town and beach area, if that suits you fine.

If you plan on a rental car make sure you have an International Driving Permit, and before renting be sure you are content to drive.

The style of driving and laws will no doubt be very different than from Scotland. Consequences of any accident are also likely to be very different from what you have in your own country.

Very different indeed. Be sure you are happy to drive, but, if you rent a villa you may well be fairly stuck with that option.

Sometimes villas and vacation properties can be well away from town, so you miss the plus points of being on the beach with a range of facilities that a hotel / resort offers.

On your very first visit to Thailand I would perhaps be inclined to suggest you stay at a hotel /resort closer to town where you can walk or use tuk-tuks or local taxis ( car+driver ) .

But that is entirely up to you.

Cli is from UK and lives in Hua Hin will no doubt post on this thread and be able to tell you more of the differences you may expect.

Purely my own personal opinion but first time, I would stay in a beach resort / hotel so you can adapt easier to the place, I am sure you will be back again, once you understand Thailand after a first visit then that gives you more confidence for future trips.

But , up to you entirely.

Edited: 7:30 pm, March 03, 2012
cli
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Insects at night...

Hi little_me and Monica of course. Have to agree with everything Monica says and as I live out in the countryside surrounded by Pineapple plantations and scrubland the insect problem can be a real one as can snakes although snakes are more likely to hide from you than attack you unless you catch one unaware.

Certain times of the year also bring out different types of insects the worst being the first heavy rains (usually May in Hua Hin) which brings the hatching of the termite queens and you don't want to be outside then although sit in the dark and they'll not bother you but if you stay by the beach than many people have trouble with sandflies so choose your option with some care.

As for driving here I sometimes get very annoyed at some tourists who report on T/A how easy it is to drive here - IT ISN'T. Every day I go out on the roads its mainly a perilous adventure, 99% of motorcyclists have no clue or idea about road safety nor even care about it and they are the unwaries worst nightmare. A large percentage of car drivers have just one aim and that is to be in front of the vehicle in front of them at any cost and nobody gives an inch to any other vehicles on the road. So by all means drive here, finding your way around is easy but doing it isn't so unless plenty of nerve and confidence then think twice. A neighbour of mine has a self drive car hire business and its not unusual for hime to have more than one car at any time into a repair shop for some accident damage.

Other than that Monica's above info is certainly worth heeding, come to Thailand and you will enjoy it very much and Hua Hin is one of the best places to make as your first visit.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insects at night...

Thanks for the replies. The only reason we are visiting Thailand is to catch up with our son and his girlfriend who will have been away for 7 months by the time we meet. We are therefore just looking for somewhere to relax, chat and spend time with them... a villa is exactly what we want.

Sorry Monica but we really don't like beach resort/ hotel holidays and always book our own villa with pool, maybe we are just anti social :-)

I will not drive, I do drive when we are abroad but only on certain roads and from what I have researched that would not include Thailand.! My husband on the other hand is a very confident driver. We do not intend to drive to and from Bangkok. As we will have three and a half weeks we are thinking of spending our last week visiting the north and will take the train or the bus??

We do know the usual rules when it comes to sitting out at nights, lights etc. We had an amazing villa in South Africa but only used the outside terraces during the day so think it will be the same in Hua Hin.

Chi, we have experienced sand flies before and I don't like them!

Thanks again

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insects at night...

It is a tropical country so you will have tropical insects and other animals, just make sure you keep all doors and windows closed and have a good insect repellent.

Kent
Level Contributor
57 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insects at night...

I can't add anything more about the driving but as for the insects, I don't go outside in the evenings without being covered in mozzie repellent (got one from Boots which had 50% deet and that did the job). I got a couple of bites where I'd missed a bit.

My husband on the other hand, decided to change out of his long trousers into shorts when we got back to our room at the Cape Nidhra and sat outside (forgetting to apply the lotion to his legs and feet). The next morning, I lost count trying to count the bites on ONE lower leg and foot at 150!!! On the upside, there were probably some very drunk mozzies buzzing about :-)

Have a fab time!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insects at night...

As long as you wear long trousers/slacks and maybe long sleeved top and apply a good Deet based insect repelland you should not have too much trouble, and of course keep the lighting down to a minimum. Get yourselves a couple of those tennis raquet type zappa bats and just give them a wave around every few minutes. The lightable coils do help but mostly for the ankle area!

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insects at night...

We are due to return to Khao Kalok for our 3rd time, we are staying in a villa again. This will be our 8th time to Thailand and have previously stayed on the outskirts of Hua Hin in a B&B. We much prefer staying in a villa than a resort, as we like the privacy and wouldn't really utilise many of the services a hotel may afford. There is a good chance the villa you are considering is near where we stay so by all means PM meand if it is will gladly answer any questions you may have.

We have never driven in Thailand yet as with the exception of Koh Samui we have found Taxis and Tuk Tuk's to be very reasonably priced. For example we normally pay about 150 baht for a ten minute journey from our villa to the main area of Khao Kaolk where the bars and restaurants are located and it means we can have a beer etc with our meals. We usually get quoted about 500 baht for a return trip to Hua Hin. Hua Hin was exceptionally busy traffic wise when we were there and I certainly wouldn't fancy driving there on my hols. Further south towards Khao Kalok and beyond the roads are a lot quieter. I am tempted, but keep telling myself why pay £350+ for two weeks car hire when I can just jump in a taxi!

You will get insects as others have said, however usual precautions such repellent, coils, sprays and plug in repellents can minimise any problems. We had a snake fall out of a tree onto the patio on our last holiday, got some good photo's of it (from a sensible distance) before it made it's escape, they are more afraid of us normally. It is the tropics though and in some places we have stayed bumped into the odd cockroach too!

Whatever you decide have a great holiday and I'm sure you will have a fantastic time, we just love the country.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
856 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insects at night...

a tip that might work re the insects. As an ex practice nurse I sometimes used to tell my patients this. It seems that if you eat Marmite (yeast extract) daily for a few weeks before you travel the insect bites will be less than if you didn't (something to do with the b complex vitamins in yeast extract) NOT sure exactly why it works but just know it seems to.

H

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insects at night...

LOL Seagull6 are you sure youare not a rep for Marmite?????

Actually I love the stuff so will give this tip a try next time I go to Thailand.

I will let you know how I get on!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Insects at night...

Marmite, yuk. I'd rather stick with the bites.

Get answers to your questions about Hua Hin