We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best beaches?

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
The best beaches?

Hi,

As per my other posts, we are going to Anantara Resort in September for our honeymoon. I am resigned following our responses that the sea of definately not for swimming in at the part of Hua Hin.

However, all the tourist information on the web (I know, I should have a very big pinch of salt) raves about the beaches and the crystal clear waters of Hua Hin.

If the beach is poor at Anantara are their any other places at Hua Hin where we will be able to lie on the beach and swim in the sea?

We don't want to hire a car so it would need to be easily got to by public transport.

Any ideas? Looking forward to Hua Hin A LOT but a bit annoyed as we asked the travel agent for somewhere we could go to the beach and it sounds impossible!

Thanks

Susan

Mentioned in this post
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The best beaches?

I can't think how should I look at Hua Hin sea and saw "Crystal Clear Water of Hua Hin Sea". The sea here is only for see and relax, really not suit for swim at any point of time. Beach walk might be possible.

If you love sea and beach activity, you choice should be Krabi, Koh Samui, Koh Tao, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Similan or something around this area. You will see the real "crystal clear water" here.

Mentioned in this post
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The best beaches?

Learning to Travel,

I have been reading some of the comments about the Hua Hin beaches and swimming in the sea for the past few weeks now and all I can say is that most of the comments are absolute rubbish and not correct.

There are dozens of different beaches around Hua Hin, all of which you can relax at and all of which you can swim at. Granted, the ones around the Hilton and the Pier restaurants are not the best but are still fine in general.

The beach at Chaam is absolutely mobbed with Thais at a weekend, as are the beaches in Hua Hin and there are normally a fair few tourists also. If the sea cannot be used for swimming then someone needs to tell that to the dozens and dozens of Thais that you see swimming at Chaam and the beaches towards the southern end of Hua Hin and just outside Hua Hin to the south.

If you want photos of what the beaches and sea really look like, give me an email address and I`ll send some pictures.

My wife and I take the daughter to school in the morning around 7:30am and then head down to one of the beaches at the southern end of town. We walk in peace and quiet and swim as we feel like it and then head back towards where the small beach restaurants are for breakfast and a siesta.

The wife and I along with our daughter, cousins 4 year old daughter and two 7 year olds regular go down the beach and there is no holding them back, whats more it is very safe in terms of no strong currents and no steep drop off in the sea bed.

I have read the comments about the jellyfish and yes they do exist but it tends to be seasonal, this is no different to the beaches in Dubai or the UAE in general. We`ve been in Hua Hin for over 5 years and have never been stung yet.

The comments that someone made about pollution from oil rigs offshore is also nonesense. There is no pollution from the offshore platforms. The ChevronTexaco Benchamas Field is around 250 miles South East of Hua Hin, the Chevron Tantawan Field is in a similar location. The PTTEP Nang Nuan Field is probably the closest at around 160 mile due south.

Mentioned in this post
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best beaches?

Thanks for your advice R1_1

We go to Hua Hin on the 16th of Septemer (less than 2 weeks). Can you advise what the water is like at the moment? Is this the season for more jellyfish? Also, from the anantara, can you walk along the beach to other beaches or is it all separate? I know some people balk at walking 100 yards but I like to be able to explore a little! I know I am labouring the point a little about the beaches, but this is our first 'beach' holiday so I want to be able to enjoy them? Also, are the beaches safe to go onto at night to watch the sun set or is that best done from a bar/restaurant?

Thanks

Susan

Mentioned in this post
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best beaches?

Hi Susan,

We went to the Anantara last year for our honeymoon. We were there from 16th-29th of September and had a fantastic time. The beach at the Anantara isn't fantastic, but I went swimming in it and it was fine. The water wasn't very clear (a bit murky and mocha coloured to be honest) but it was absolutely fine to swim in. You can walk down the beach in either direction, but I am not sure how far it extends as when we did it, the tide came up and we nearly got cut off!

Dont worry about the jellyfish, yes they were there on the beach (I only saw some small ones) but I didnt get stung once.

I have added some photographs of the beach at the Anantara to give you some idea, albeit they are not brilliant shots!

To give you some reassurance Susan; I am the type of bloke that doesn't like going to the same resort twice. I like to explore different countries and see different things...however, I have never been to such a beautiful country where the people are so friendly and lovely that we are going back on 28th September!!

Maybe we will see you in Jungle Juice (a top bar with a top bloke who owns it) for a few cold drinks??

Happy Honeymoon

Scooby

Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The best beaches?

Hi Susan,

I will have to ask the wife what the water is like at the moment and the story with the jellyfish as I am currently in the UAE at work.

I will more than likely be in Hua Hin around the same time as yourself as I have business in Bangkok between 16th and 26th so will be returning home to Hua Hin at the weekends.

The beaches at the hotels are perfectly safe at night but any "remote" location / beach should be visited with caution at night time the same as one would exercise caution anywhere else in the world.

Watching the sun set in the absolute sense may be a little difficult as the sun sets in the West, the eastern coast of the Thai / Malay peninsula effectively faces East, therefore the sun sets behind the mountains about a mile inland from the beaches of Hua Hin.

The best beach for walking where we visit regularly is about 5 to 10 minutes by taxi or tuk-tuk from the Anantara down near Khao Takiap which is still within Hua Hin as such. From here you walk about half a mile or more along the beach towards Suan Son which is another beach area.

Mentioned in this post
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Khao Takiap Beach
Khao Takiap Beach
244 Reviews
Hua Hin, Thailand
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best beaches?

Thanks all for your help, am getting stressed about the wedding on Friday but excited about the honeymoon!

R1_1: When you say 'The best beach for walking where we visit regularly is about 5 to 10 minutes by taxi or tuk-tuk from the Anantara down near Khao Takiap which is still within Hua Hin as such. From here you walk about half a mile or more along the beach towards Suan Son which is another beach area.' where should we ask the tuk tuk drivers to take us? If we ask for the nice beach at Khao Takiap will they know where we mean?

Scooby: You will be arriving as we leave! Anyway - you can't tell me of a top bar without telling me where it is - that's just mean! Is Jungle Juice near the anantara or on the town. Come on - you need to spill now!

Cheers

Susan

Mentioned in this post
Khao Takiap Beach
Khao Takiap Beach
244 Reviews
Hua Hin, Thailand
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best beaches?

There are beach cafes and beach chairs down at Takiab beach ojust past Khao takiab ( temple and monkeys ).

From Anantara if you go to the road and flag down one of the green pick-up buses they take you for 10 Baht into the central market, you will then see same colored pick-up buses with 'Khao takiab' on their windown, again 10 Baht and they take you to their final stop which is below the Khao Takiab Mountain, from there you can see the road leads off past Seahorse towards a tall white Condo building, rake the turning past that condo and you arrive at the beach, alternatively the Baht bus will drive you down there for an extra 20 baht, just point towards the condo with a 20 baht note in your hand and say 'talay' and you will be ok.

here is pic of the pick-up buses and where they stop, you can do Khao takiab temple / monkeys same trip, also a tuk tuk from your hotel will take you there.

Also here is a good map:

www.khaotakiab.com/khao-takiab-travel.htm

On the map look for:

The Anantara is north of town, spot Hyatt Regency on the map, that is south of the town center.

See the red sign on the map for the Golden Buddha, well worth seeing, Khao Takiab ( another red sign on the map ) and below that you see the stretch of beach, you can rent beach loungers from the Thai restaurants on the beach, if you want nice restrooms then wander into the Anantasila Beach Resort, order a cool drink and use their nice bathrooms.

This shows Anantasila on 2nd pic down on the left with the palm trees.

khaotakiab.com/khao-takiab-attractions.htm

South of there ( though good on a seperate trip for a few hours - arrange a taxi in Hua hin to pick you up and take you down ) is Koh Tao ( not to be confused with the large Koh tao island which is several hundred km south ), this though not really for beach but to see the temple and get a bit of local like.

http://www.khaotakiab.com/khao-tao.htm

Mentioned in this post
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best beaches?

Try not to get confused with these names !

This is a day trip, takes about 2 hrs 30, includes pick up and return from your Hua Hin hotel, transfer, speedboat, snorking and long-tal boat around the rock formations , beach and lunch, it's the "Bang Saphan / Koh Talu " day trip.

All the tour agents have this, it goes daily, these are some photos ( no, I can't read swedish either ), just happens to be some lovely photos of Koh Talu island and you can see why it's a nice day trip - wear easy clothes over your swimming costume and take along a beach towel, lotions etc and something to slip on after you have done the snorkeling, the tour people provides snorkel/masks etc )

http://www.swedishbackpackers.se/koh_talu.htm

Lovely day trip

Mentioned in this post
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The best beaches?

Just ask any taxi or tuk-tuk to take you to Khao Takiap beach and they will understand. If you look at the maps you will see the "peninsula / rock" of Khao Takiap, the north side is actually marked as South Takiap Beach, you want to be on the south side of the peninsula for the beach walk I am referring to.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Takiap Beach
Khao Takiap Beach
244 Reviews
Hua Hin, Thailand
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best beaches?

Wow! Those are the kind of beaches I am looking for,

If I get a tuk tuk or taxi to take us straight there, how much should I expect to pay? Also, will there be plenty of tuk tuks or taxis to bring us back again?

It is amazing that a small distance down the coast can make such a difference to the beaches - we will definately have to give that a shot.

I get from the posts that their are plenty of places to get a cool drink, something to eat and use the conveniences. Is that the case?