We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Padang Besar to Hatyai by train or van

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
942 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Padang Besar to Hatyai by train or van

Hello All TA,

I had just done my trip from BKH to Hatyai. Now, I would like to explore PB route.

I'm planning to drive to PB and then from there head to Hatyai. Kindly advice me a few query below:

1. Where to park car in PB for 1-2 night? What's the cost / night?

2. As I understand the custom and train station is at same building. Are Malaysia immigration and Thailand immigration far apart? Safe to walk with 3 year old children with luggage?

3. I plan to take the train from PB to Hatyai. Should I book in advance or book on arrival?

4. In case i'm unable to get the train. Is there van availble from PB to Hatyai? What's the evarage cost?

5. Planning to visit Danok also. Is the available van from Danok to PB/PB to Danok? What;s the average cost?

Thanks in advance

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Padang Besar to Hatyai by train or van

From Hatyai to Padang Besar or Dannok by minivan is about 50 to 60 baht each. Dannok is about 15 km from Dannok whereas Hatyai to Dannok is about 50 km. It's not expensive. Walking around any Thai streets with toddlers can be dangerous if you are unable to control them because of holes in pavements, storm drains and bad drivers.I would not want to try controlling small kids and dragging luggage around at the same time. I think its a couple of km between the Immigration checkpoints. I have walked it before but many people use motorcycle taxis but this is without lots of luggage or small kids.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Padang Besar to Hatyai by train or van

When you are in Hatyai and walking around with your kids make sure you all cross roads together with the kids holding your hands. Beware of traffic turning left even on red lights. This is often allowed in Thailand. Zebra crossings are at many road junctions but drivers do not usually respect them unless lights are red for them also. Always check to make sure traffic is slowing down before you step onto a crossing. If possible cross with a big crowd of people and drivers are much more likely to stop. If you cross as an individual person the drivers will just zigzag around you but will not stop.

Edited: 6:39 am, April 02, 2016
3. Re: Padang Besar to Hatyai by train or van

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 04, 2017