We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hat Yai Lantern Festival - Lodging Near Municipality Park?

Which Hat Yai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
Hat Yai Lantern Festival - Lodging Near Municipality Park?

Hello,

I'm thinking of stopping through Hat Yai for one night (midweek - late April) on my way to Koh Lipe to see the lantern festival. Does anyone know if this is worth one night of a three night excursion, on the end of a work trip in Thailand?

Any suggestions on lodging near Hat Yai Municipality Park? Or in another good/interesting part of town? This is my first trip to mainland Asia so any and all suggestions appreciated!

Also, for Koh Lipe, is it best to get minivan/ferry tickets in advance or can you get them in the train station most any time?

Thanks!!!!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hat Yai Lantern Festival - Lodging Near Municipality Park?

If you are there during Thai New Year (Songkran) 12-15 April be aware that it will be very, very busy and many hotels will already be booked out. We stayed at the Novotel right in the centre of town and found it a really good spot, it's a bit more expensive than many other hotels, but we found reviews on other hotels really bad - you get a fabulous breakfast at the Centara Hat Yai (was called the Novotel) and it's right above the street markets.

It's about 6km from the Municipal Park, but I don't think you'll find many decent hotels in that part of town anyway and it is easy to jump in a taxi to get there.

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hat Yai Lantern Festival - Lodging Near Municipality Park?

Awesome! Sadly it's after the new year, but I'm hoping the lanterns will still be amazing! So - the area around the train station is good to stay in?? That is convenient for me since I'm just going for one night.

Thanks!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hat Yai Lantern Festival - Lodging Near Municipality Park?

Plenty happening near the train station, lots of restaurants, the market etc. Centara is about 10 minutes walk from the train station or there are cheaper guesthouses. Cathay Guesthouse is popular with backpackers, not fancy but good value.

Edited: 10:46 pm, March 10, 2012
Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hat Yai Lantern Festival - Lodging Near Municipality Park?

RDnDC,

there is only Songkran festival in April , this is commonly known as water festival. NOT lantern festival.

Could be Loy Krathon, where one lay a lotus flower shape floating object with flowers and joss sticks to the sea or water for blessing.If this is what you refer, it is somewhere in Nov or Dec.

Cheers !

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hat Yai Lantern Festival - Lodging Near Municipality Park?

Thanks for suggestions, all! I'm a little confused that you say the lantern festival is not in April, vinerlies, as all the information I have found says it will be until April 30:

tourismthailand.org/see-do/…

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hat Yai Lantern Festival - Lodging Near Municipality Park?

That's a different lantern festival.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hat Yai Lantern Festival - Lodging Near Municipality Park?

RDnDC,

I am surprise to note that the International Lantern festival falls in April. In Thailand, the most well glamourous celebrations are this 2 festival : SongKhran & Loy Krathong. one in Aprril and the other in Nov/Dec.

cannot really explain !

Sorry for the confusion.

Perhaps , the local Hatyai TA can assist.

Cheers !

8. Re: Hat Yai Lantern Festival - Lodging Near Municipality Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 am, June 18, 2013