We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chiang rai city hotels

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
chiang rai city hotels

Kiaora,

Family of 2 adults and 2 children (11,12) planning on spending 4 nights in Chinag Rai in May 07.

Planning a day trip to the golden Triangle, Are there tours that will take you to Mekok River and hill tribes without going on Elephant ride...(Prefer to visit ENP in C Mai ) since learning about how the Elephants are trained for riding have decided against this.

Any other ideas for C Rai?

Any hotel recommendations and do you need to be based in the city of C Rai or are the resorts close enough to the city centre?

michelle

Parntrek
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Japa Tour
Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Chai Machete Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chiang rai city hotels

We stayed at the Wiang Inn Hotel and are staying there again in January. It is quite a nice hotel and they have a buffet breakfast , lunch and dinner. It is right in the middle of town and just a short walk to the night Markets.

We were on a package tour so we only stayed one night. In the morning our guide arranged for us to travel down to the river in some trishaws which was a lot of fun.

Also just out side of Chiang Rai is a beutiful silver temple. I can't recall it's name but it is just so unusual to see. It is well worth a visit.

Chiang Rai
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: chiang rai city hotels

To stay in the center of hotel, I would recommend Wiang INN hotel, a four star hotel.(http://www.wianginn.com). The advantage of this hotel is that you can walk to retaurant andnight bazaar.

If you are looking for a real nature resort, I recommend Anatara golden triangle or the four season www.anantara.com/html/special/golden.html. However, it is really far out from the city ( 60 km. from chaing rai). Another one is http://www.fourseasons.com/goldentriangle/. Here they have an elephant camp, many activities such as elepahant riding and visiting the hilltribe villages.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chiang rai city hotels

Michelle,

We are a family of 5 planning a trip to northern Thailand late March. Can you tell me why you chose C Rai vs. C Mai to stay? I am struggling with where to stay.

Also, which company are you looking at doing your tours? I also feel the same about the elephants and would prefer to pass on this.

Thanks for any info about your itinerary.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chiang rai city hotels

Wiang Come Hotel is as central as Wiang Inn.

Perhaps 3 star instead of 4 star, but a lot cheaper.

Go for lunch down at Phattaya 'beach'.

It's a park area along the river on the edge of town.

Scenic, peaceful, and plenty of food stalls with salas to sit in watching the river.

Silver temple is about 30 minutes south of CR.

They have a nice cheap buffet lunch at the Rim Kok Hotel out of town.

U.K.-Yorkshire
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chiang rai city hotels

The Dusit Island resort is just outside CR, - It has good facilities and a fantastic swimming pool that the children will love. My wife and I used to walk down into CR centre in 10/15 minutes but there is a shuttle bus service and plenty of tuk-tuks to bring you back. The Dusit is on an island in the middle of the Kok river and has it's own jetty for boat trips. There is also a fantastic & inexpensive Thai restaurant in the hotel grounds ( "Laan Taan" or something like that). Well worth a look!

Chiangrai
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: chiang rai city hotels

Dear Michellekiwi

It is 4 nights duration and you seem to have made some good decisions about the place to visit already. Anyway, here is a bit more.

1st Day -->Golden Triangle + Doi Tung Royal Project or Doi Maesalong Chinese Village and tea plantation.

2nd Day -->Maekok and hill tribes villages (without elephant riding); by minivan or longtail boat and then trekking to stay one overnight in the hill tribe village or no trekking but take minivan to come back to the city in the same day.

3rd Day -->an off-road trip to Doi Chang for scenic mountain view and see coffee plantation.

4th Day--> city tour (white temple and hilltribe museum in particular)

As for hotels, 1. Wiang Inn, 2. Wang Come and 3. Diamond Park Inn are situated right at the centre of the night markets (5-10 minutes walk) with the rates accordingly.

Kao

kaochiang@hotmail.com

7. Re: chiang rai city hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 am, August 20, 2009