We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation advice please

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation advice please

Hello, we are a family of 2 adults and 2 children (aged 11 and 9) going to Chiang Rai for 4-5 nights before going to Chiang Mai. We went to Chiang Mai last year and fell in love with it, so this year we're going to try CR too.

I'm just rather surprised at how expensive some accommodation seems to be in CR.

We like mid-range, room that can fit all four of us with beds, and to be in walking distance to some other food/restaurants/markets etc. Would the river area suit us do you think? (not sure what there is to offer in this area). We were also hoping for 3000-4500bht/night.

I'm also starting to wonder about staying a night or two somewhere else closer to Golden Triangle, as we like exploring on bikes etc.

For comparison, we LOVE the location and everything about the Baan Orapin in CM and are happy to walk to old city/night markets/everything from there.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thank you!

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation advice please

I can think of a few solutions to all the beds in one room.

The two cheapest are Fun-D Hostel and Ban Rub Aroon, they are both in walking distance to the night market (less than 1km). They both have dormitory rooms and you could book the whole dormitory. Fun-D is a hip, cool place mostly used by the younger generation and every time we pick customers up from there they rave about it. It has a very nice bar/restaurant area and the young staff are very friendly and attentive. Ban Rub Aroon is an old colonial style house set to the West of town and less than 200 metres from the Saturday night walking street. It is run by a middle aged Thai lady and is very quiet and peaceful. Both of these will come in at about half your budget.

Finally, there is De Hug at Den Ha. They have at least one family room. De Hug is painted in oranges and browns and tries but fails to look cool and hip. It's actually a very nice hotel but a maybe 1.5km from town. I have stayed at De Hug and I enjoyed it, but wouldn't choose it again.

You might like to consider 2 adjoining rooms at Ban Norn Plearn, this is very central and should come in at about 2,000 baht/night. Guests also rave about this converted kindergarten school with all the old toys and children's paintings, and the very friendly owners.

Bruce

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation advice please

Chiang Mai has a glut of hotels and more being built all the time, so there is more competition and lower prices than Chiang Rai.

Chang Saen is a pleasant town to stay in near the Golden Triangle, with old ruins to explore, night time food carts along the riverside. The newer Pak-Ping-Rim-Khong hotel is a nice place by the river or the Riverhill Hotel in downtown. But the road from Chang Saen to Sop Ruak (Golden Triangle) is being four laned so is no longer the pleasant bike ride it used to be.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation advice please

You could also consider staying a bit out of town in the area of Chiang Rai Beach. We stayed at Baan Nattawadee and really loved it. The cost per night is very reasonable, the beds are comfy and the breakfasts amazing and generous. The owners are also lovely. It isn't really within walking distance though, so you need to use tuk-tuks to get there, but the area is well worth exploring anyway. When we were there, the owners were about to open a new small hotel in town for budget travellers. It might have been called Chiang Rai Traveller but my memory might be dodgy. This one might be worth a look too.

Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation advice please

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll check them out.

Another question regarding the riverside in Chiang Rai - does it have restaurants / food stalls? We just like to check out other food options, rather than only eating at the hotel. We can then take tuk-tuks to the centre for other things.

Thanks again!

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation advice please

There is food available at Chiang Rai beach, which is on the riverside, walking/cycling distance from Baan Nattawadee (free bicycles and quiet roads from there). Chiang Rai beach is low tables where you sit cross legged on mats, it's a very authentic Thai style experience and you can swim/paddle in the river too.

You should try eating at the Night Market/Food Stalls, there are about 60 stalls around an open air courtyard and a stage where there is live entertainment.

For gourmet Thai foo, catch a tuk-tuk to Aekocha, which to my mind is some of the nicest Thai food in Thailand.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,946 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation advice please

Baan Nattawadee has a family room that takes four. It is actually two adjoining rooms - and very inexpensive. It is a bit out of town. We have also stayed at Baan Soontree. We have two kids as well - we booked two rooms here and split one adult with one child. If you want to look at Baan Soontree online, look at it on agoda.com - much of their own web page is in Thai.

We have stayed at two other places in CR with our boys, but these are the best of the ones we have experienced.

Caroline.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation advice please

We are 2 women traveling to chiang rai in June or July we are looking for a 3star hotel with pool wifi and unsure what area to stay in . We like markets and shopping may be a balcony or a room which allows smoking an elevator would be good with breakfast any sugestions

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation advice please

Good hotels with pool, are Le Patta which is right in the centre of town and great for shopping in town, also Le Meridien just outside town with a beautiful pool, the latter sometimes offers great rates on their website if you spend a little time googleing. I think the only place you can smoke nowadays is on the balcony.

Bruce

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation advice please

For a family of four I would consider Baan Nattawadee. I have stayed here about a dozen times and never been disappointed. As one of the above posters indicated it is outside of town (about a 7 minute tuk tuk ride) but the rooms are well below your price range, very clean, large, refrigerator, bathroom separated from the main room and amazing and generous breakfasts. The owners are fabulous. You can walk to the restaurants at Chiang Rai beach, but as Bruce described above these are little stalls where you sit cross legged on some benches. There is a great restaurant not too far away called Baan Noi. They opened their new downtown hotel on April 24. I think it is called Chiang Rai Traveler, but you could email Fong at Baan Nattawadee to verify that. I think I am going to try their downtown hotel on my next trip.

If you are looking for a pool in the downtown area than Le Patta is probably the best option. It has a lovely pool, the hotel is within a few blocks of the night market and is new. The rooms are lovely. I stayed here last week and enjoyed it.

Le Meridien has a great infinity pool and this time of year they have some good deals. However, on my stay here last week I thought the note had lost some of its prior extraordinary service. The rooms however remain fabulous.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation advice please

Thanks heaps. We're now booked into LeMeridien (we could all fit in one room). I tried La Patta but they said we'd have to have 2 rooms and so then was way more expensive. I did try other places too but getting all the Baans muddled up now!

I think it might be a bit cold for us for swimming as we'll be there in December (and we live in the tropics), but you never know what kids will swim in!