We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short stay/Long stay

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne Australia.
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Short stay/Long stay

I will arrive in C/R on the Green bus from C/M Saturday afternoon my plan is..

1. Booked guest house for 3 nights near the clock tower, walk that area to get my bearings and visit the night market.

2.Sunday ,Monday ..check out immediate C/R area with a view to a longer stay in May (6 weeks)looking at accommodation options and meeting expats who have made the move.

3 Tuesday,Wednesday ..Travel to Border region to visit The Golden Triangle Park hall of opium, perhaps a crossing to Myanmar,....stay one night in Mae Salong return via boat from Thaton toC/r for flight to B/K 2030hrs Wed. 26th.

I would be grateful with advise on the best way to organise #3.

My planned return in May will allow me to fill in the gaps so no need to rush about this time.

I like hot springs, old bus and river transport but not Elephant driving or monkey shows, a hill tribe visit would be neat but not part of some tourist show.

Thank you for help and advise in advance. R.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,205 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short stay/Long stay

Have you thought about doing the bamboo raft trip with either Jermsak or Mr Charlie? You can then visit a local hilltribe school, walk across the suspension bridge and visit the village at the same time.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short stay/Long stay

When you arrive on Saturday night you might want to take in the Saturday Walking Market, which only occurs on Saturday evening and is much larger than the night market.

The raft trip is a lovely idea and would provide an opportunity to visit a hilltribe that is not set up for tourism. You would also be within 15 minutes of several hilltribes on your visit to Mae Salong.

You can take a bus form Mae Salong to Thaton or hire a driver. I've not booked the river trip from Thaton to Chiang Rai so can't offer specifics on the booking. It is a fairly long ride in the 5 to 6 hour range.

You may want to contact Hamzy or Bruce regarding expats living in Chiang Rai. They are both on this forum.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short stay/Long stay

Hi,

I would recommend you register on the www.chiangraities.com forum, it's run by an ex-pat for all the ex-pat's in this province.

If you're thinking of moving here long stay, I'll be happy to provide any advice and assistance I can.

Bruce

Edited: 5:25 am, February 11, 2014
Melbourne Australia.
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short stay/Long stay

thank you

5. Re: Short stay/Long stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 13, 2015