We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus: Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Bus: Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong...

Trains to Chiang Mai on Dec 6th are booked BUT I got a non-aircon seat on Train 51 which arrives at 1:05 pm on Saturday, Dec 7th. Thus I have missed direct buses to Chiang Khong. However I can catch a Green Bus to Chiang Rai. They leave at 14:45 and 17:45 (on Saturday Dec 7th) but I do not know when they arrive. anyone know when those green Buses arrive in Chiang Rai?

Anyone know if I can make a connection to CK by taking either Green Bus to Chiang Rai?

How about a connection of any sort - even a truck/taxi? How about a bus to Chiang Saen then a taxi to Chiang Khong.

Basically I need to be in Chiang Khong by 8 am Sunday Dec 8th so I can cross into laos and take a boat that leaves at 9 am on Sunday Dec 8th.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Chiang Saen
Chiang Saen
199 Reviews
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus: Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong...

Hopefully Paulo will see your post and respond, as he is the expert on the bus schedules. Caroline08Australia also usually has information on the schedule of the Green Bus. In general, the Green VIP bus takes three hours to get to Chiang Rai, as they are non stop.

When I have traveled from Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong I just hired a driver, which you could easily do if the bus schedules do not work out. It is a two hour drive. To obtain a driver look at the FAQ on the upper right hand corner of this forum page and click on the "Find a Tour Guide" tab. Any of the guides can set you up with a driver.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus: Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong...

Hi,

The bus from CM to CR is approx. 3 hours. I don't know if the earlier bus will give you enough time to get a bus to CK (perhaps Paulo wiill know).

However, I would be tempted to take the earlier bus, stay overnight in CR and visit the excellent Saturday night walking street market and book a driver in advance for Sunday morning. If you book a city centre hotel, you can walk to the market. If you decide on this option and want advice on city centre hotels, just post a note and I'll be happy to recommend some. Doing it this way, you will need an early start on Sunday morning.

Bruce

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus: Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong...

Hi all!

Thanks for this set of replies and excellent advice. I did change my mind when I found a VIP bus from BKK to Chiang Khong that did the trip in 12 hours. I got the bus ticket and cancelled the train ticket.

Now instead of worrying about getting connector buses, etc, I just get on the bus in BKK at 8 pm on Friday, December 6th and get off in Chiang Khong at 8 am on Saturday morning, December 7th. That way I have the choice of crossing into Laos that day (7th) or the next morning at a supposedly frantic pace. I will probably cross the border on the 7th and get a place to stay and relax and rest. they tell me that Lao Beer is quite nice. Wonder what the haciendas are like in Huai Xai. Anyone know OR have recommendations.

This part of my travels is now feeling much more relaxed and comfortable. i shall see how this part of my extended trip actually works out.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus: Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong...

Hi Tmac:

I am not much of a beer drinker but my husband tells me the Lao beer is pretty good.

The accommodations in Huai Xai are pretty basic but there are some reports on the forum of several good guesthouses. You might want to place the words "Huai Xai" in the "search" portion of this forum page, about a third of the way down from the top, and it will pull up prior posts about Huai Xai and you can then read the feedback from people who stayed at guesthouses there.

Safe Travels,

Broder

5. Re: Bus: Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 27, 2014