We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

Carlow
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

Hi all!

I'm heading to chiang rai in September and have 2 days booked with Jermsak before heading to chiang mai.

We're hoping to get the VIP green bus on Friday 20th September and just have a few questions!

1. Will it be okay to get the tickets the day before?

2. Where does the bus generally leave from?

3. Where does the bus arrive in chiang mai? (I want to plot my route to the Rimping village, Jermsak will drop us to the bus station in Chiang Rai so that's sorted!)

Thanks a million!

Claire

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

Your question probably should read: "Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai", no? You can purchase the tickets the day before. Bus leaves from central bus station in CR (very easy to find) and arrives at Arcade bus station in CM. From there to most hotels and B&Bs you will need transport. If you are not loaded down with baggage, I recommend walking out to the main road and getting a songthow there. It should be 20-30 baht to most destinations in town.

Edited: 11:11 am, August 20, 2013
Carlow
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

Oh no! Yeah it was ment to be chiang rai to chiang mai! Sorry! I'm a dope. Thanks tho.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,189 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

Just ask Jermsak to take you to the bus station to book a ticket back when you are with him. He has done this for us many times - he will go to the counter with you and sort it out.

The day before should be fine.

there are generally tuk tuks and songthaews waiting at The Arcade Bus station when you get back into CM to take you to your hotel there.

Caroline.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

Either that or You can purchase the tickets the day before. Bus leaves from central bus station in CR (very easy to find) and arrives at Arcade bus station in CM. From there to most hotels and B&Bs you will need transport. If you are not loaded down with baggage, I recommend walking out to the main road and getting a songthow there. It should be 20-30 baht to most destinations in town. The ones at the station will want more money.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

You can buy your ticket the day before, and if there are only 2 to 4 of you traveling, you shouldn't have a problem getting seats on the Green VIP bus. There are also other first class busses. Jermsak can take you to the bus station to book the tickets for you on the first day you have a tour with him.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Carlow
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

Thanks everyone! We're nearly sorted now. We've just received our overnight train tickets for chiang mai to bangkok which I'm a little worried about since the recent derailments! Any advice around that?

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

Fly.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

Since you already have your tickets, I would risk it. There have been a few minor derailments this year, but only the one bad one you read about.

I'd be surprised if they haven't walked the track and made sure it's safe(r) already.

Carlow
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

Thanks Brucej, I'm thinking about just keeping an eye and getting a flight if there's any more problems. I really want to go on an overnight train, always have, so will be disappointed if we miss out but it's obviously not worth risking safety. Dont want to waste my tickets either. It's a tough one!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai green bus

I've been on the overnight trains. Nothing special really and not up to European standards at all. I wouldn't really be worried much, but if you are, as I facetiously recommended above, fly. There are many flights from BKK to the North on several different airlines. Fares are not particularly expensive, and you will be in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai in an hour.