We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ants

Manitowoc
2 posts
Save Topic
Ants

Hi, My daughter came to live in CR in April. She loves Thailand all but the ANTS and Mosquitoes. Do the locales have any remedies dealing with these pesty problems?

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ants

There is a thread on www.chiangraities.com about dealing with ants with a mixture of sugar and borax disolved in water. She can get a small bag of borax at world chemicals on the superhighway, a little bit further down from the big PTT with Amazon coffee shop (about 400m before the Wiang Chai traffic lights).

Mosquitos outside are very difficult to deal with, inside I find the best insecticide spray is Baygon available in most 7/11's and makro.

Rainy season generally has about 10 times as many mozzies as dry season, this year, it's about 30 times as many.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ants

You can never kill all the ants so just reduce their food sources in your house or apartment. Don't leave any food lying around, wash your dishes as soon as you finish with them, clean up the kitchen, sweep the floor and buy airtight containers for storing all dry foodstuffs in. If you are leaving food out for cats or dogs then place the bowl inside another bigger bowl filled with water.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ants

There are several types of ants, some attracted to sugars, others to proteins.

When we lived in Malaysia there was a product available in little silver packets (5cm x 5cm) and were only a few cents each. They worked a treat on ants in the house. Sorry cant recall the name but they were available in the corner stores.

Mozzies do not travel far so it is very important to not have any water lying around the house. In some neighbourhoods it is even illegal to have saucers under your flowerpots to reduce mozzie breeding grounds

Mentioned in this post
Manitowoc
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ants

Thanks for the advise. I've heard essential oils such as eucalyptus and peppermint help. Anywhere to get oils?

Thailand
Level Contributor
203 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ants

I use the borax pencil-things, easily available everywhere. Wave your hands about and shout MOT DAM! (Black ants).

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ants

I don't bother with the essentials oils. I don't see the point in politely asking them to stay away. Spray them with bug spray to kill them and then use ant chalk to paint roadblocks along their routes. If they get into the house through a gap in the window frame then circle around the gap with the chalk and they are stuck for a while.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ants

I am reliably informed that Myrmecophaga tridactyla is a reliable solution to ant problems.

8. Re: Ants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 20, 2014