We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike..from Bamboo Nest?

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
south africa
Level Contributor
237 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hike..from Bamboo Nest?

If anyone has done this I would really like some info on it please! I,m getting a bit jittery I hear its a 3 hr hike ....wondering if I should start getting myself geared up for it? Any other info on the tours that they do from Bamboo Nest would be great. Thanks.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike..from Bamboo Nest?

Sorry, I have never done any hiking in Thailand, though I have in my home country of England, it's usually much too hot and humid for anything strenuous here. Now it's rainy season, so cover up, strong shoes and lots of DEET mozzie repellent, a wide hat and sunscreen cream too, even if it's overcast, you can easily get burnt. You might enjoy hiring some motorbikes to explore the countryside, Bamboo Nest probably provide them and you are out in the country so much safer than riding in town, though it's as dangerous as riding a bicycle here, so be careful if you do and assume everyone else is going to do something stupid :-)

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike..from Bamboo Nest?

Incidentally, there are lots of Tour shops in town, they mostly offer hiking and are not independent, they only sell their own hikes only. There is a reason for this, they are generally run by poor, but well intentioned Hill Tribe people and the barrier to entry is only a months rent on a shop unit. I would recommend reading the reviews on the main TA website, if there are any. Remember, if you enquire about a different kind of tour and they say it's closed or gone out of business, it probably hasn't, they just want you to buy their tour. I know I'm cynical, but I've seen it all before here.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike..from Bamboo Nest?

I haven't done the trek provided by Bamboo Nest but have done trekking through the Chiang Rai and Mae Salong areas. A three hour hike is probably going to be okay for someone in moderate physical shape. It is humid, and there are some elevation climbs, but none of the trekking we have done was technical climbing, or significant elevation, just hiking. I live at a pretty high altitude and in an area where we hike frequently, so it may be a bit more strenuous for you if you are not in the routine of hiking. Most of the guides though are very good at stopping along the way and giving you whatever time you need to rest. They also usually have plenty of water with them.

Taking a good hat, sunglasses, DEET and sunscreen are all good idea. Also, the guides usually have those little wet towels to give you along the way.

Safe Travels,

Broder

south africa
Level Contributor
237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike..from Bamboo Nest?

Thanks for all your info and help. Have decided to base ourselves in CM and see what we feel like doing from there. Will be careful with the tours offered.Thanks Gill

5. Re: Hike..from Bamboo Nest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 07, 2014