We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accom in centre or near sunday nite market

Christmas Island...
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
accom in centre or near sunday nite market

Hi all..I am travelling to Chiang rai in August..spending a couple of weeks at New Life Foundation..then want to spend 5 nights in town..I actually have problems with feet ..So I am looking for accom close to Sunday night market ..restaurants etc (when I say close I am talking 5 mins not 15 mins ) $45 aus is the top of my budget ..any suggestions ? Thanks for your time :O)

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accom in centre or near sunday nite market

Hi Sundae and welcome to the Chiang Rai forum.

Are you sure you wouldn't rather stay near the Saturday Night Market? Nak Nakara Hotel springs to mind, it backs onto it and is well reported.

Near the Sunday Night Market, I have stayed at Ben's Guest House a few years ago, I've heard it's a lot better now, even has a swimming pool although I am not sure how clean it is, in the high season it was a bit grubby, but it's difficult to maintain a pool with many bathers if it's a small pool.

Bruce

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accom in centre or near sunday nite market

Sundae:

I am wondering if you are confusing the Sunday Night Market with the Saturday Night Market? The Sunday Night Market is in a very local district, is not too large, and has few hotels or B & B's that would appeal to a tourist. If you are looking for hotels near the Sunday Night Market, I am afraid I am of little assistance, as I've not stayed in the area and have not really noticed hotels when walking through the market. There are only a few small restaurants close to the Sunday night market, other than the small stalls set up on Sunday night.

You may wish to consider staying close to the Saturday Night Market, which is close to the center of town, near lots of restaurants and shops and has a fair amount of night time activity (for Chiang Rai). Some folks like the North Hotel, and though it is not high up on my list, it would be in your price range and is a 5 minute walk. There are several small guest houses that TA members have stayed in near town that receive good reviews, so you might want to look at the reviews under "B & B's" and hotels. Also, the Diamond Park Inn (there is also a smaller guest house by the name of Diamond Park) is within a 5 minute walk.

Hope that helps you get started.

Broder

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accom in centre or near sunday nite market

Also, look at the reviews for Baan Bua Guesthouse, as several TA members have stayed there and enjoyed it. I think the cost is about $15 to $20 USD in low season (August is low season) and it is within a 5 minute walk to the night market and the Saturday walking market.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accom in centre or near sunday nite market

Sundae.... Is it possible that you may be thinking of the very big and entertaining "Sunday Night Market" in Chiang Mai? This is a well known place, as is the "Saturday Night Market" in Chiang Rai - both are excellent and fun to explore.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accom in centre or near sunday nite market

Hi Sundae, Broder

I have stayed in the North hotel, and I know Baan Bua fairly well too, I had dinner (and a few beers) in the Night Stalls with two English girls from Portsmouth last week staying in Baan Bua and they loved it. Both are excellent choices, I am not sure whether they might be close enough to the Saturday Night Walking Street for Sundae. They are both about 1000 yards away, though they are both fairly inexpensive. Baan Bua is currently charging 250 baht/night for a room, and from memory I think I paid 400 baht/night for the North Hotel 2 years ago. Nak Nakara is just within Sundae's budget and backs onto the Eastern end of the Saturday Night Walking Street, it also has a great all you can eat lunch buffet for 179 baht and the best Pizza restaurant in town next door "Bella Pizza".

Bruce

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accom in centre or near sunday nite market

I just checked the map, 1000 yards is overstating Baan Bua and The North, they are about 700 yards from the midway point of Saturday night walking street. The North is a townhouse on the same street as the excellent Oasis Vegetaurant, vegetarian restaurant, because it's a townhouse you may get a 4th floor room and there is no lift.

Christmas Island...
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accom in centre or near sunday nite market

Thank you very much Bruce. for ur time and kindness ..I have travelled to Chiang Mai 3 times..but never got to Chiang Rai .I will look it up ..Again thank you for ur kindness

Christmas Island...
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: accom in centre or near sunday nite market

Hi ..was getting confused with Saturday market..have been to chiangmai markets ..thank u :O)

Christmas Island...
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: accom in centre or near sunday nite market

Hi Bruce..thank u so much for your trouble ..in looking maps up etc..I suffer from fibromyalgia ..it's not that I can't wait ..but after walking ..for awhile feet and legs really burn....I have looked up Nak Nakara..looks great think I will book into there after I have been to New Life Foundation...very grateful for ur help :O)

Christmas Island...
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: accom in centre or near sunday nite market

thank you very much for ur time and assistance Broder ..much appreciated :O)