We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Chiang Rai

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Chiang Rai

I have another trip to Chiang Rai and the surrounding area planned for October 2013. I have my "standby" favorite restaurants that I visit on most of my trips, but am always up for trying some place new or finding out if any new restaurants have come on the scene. Has anyone had a great restaurant experience on their trip to Chiang Rai that they would like to share? I am most interested in Thai food.

Thanks,

Broder

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Chiang Rai

Hi Broder , while I dont have any recs for you what are some of your favourites for CR and CM if you have any.

Staying at Le Meridien in both places.

Will probably do Favola at LM on Day 1 as will be a long travel/tour day with an early start the next day for the rafting tour so doubt we will want to venture too far.

Edited: 8:31 pm, June 07, 2013
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Chiang Rai

Dear Broder,

I understand from Khun's Ton & Fong you will be staying with them, it's not Thai food, but there is a great steak place nearby, head right out of Baan Nattawadee and go straight through the traffic lights, about 600m on the left hand side is a steak restaurant opposite the school. We have been there 4 times in 3 days, chicken or pork steak, salad & fries is 49 baht. The beef steak is slightly more and not as good. It's nearly always packed out with Thai people, but they will give you an English menu.

I think you already know know the best 2 Thai restuarants, but if you do find another, let me know. I'm always on the lookout for good food.

Best wishes

Bruce

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Chiang Rai

Hi Broder..... you lucky girl, going back in October! I'm envious.

Jermsak recommended a restaurant to me when I was there but I can't remember the name of it - something like "Thome Somme"... if you re-read my JBR for Chiang Rai, you'll see the restaurant name there. You may have already eaten there, but if not, Jersak said it was good. It's only about 5 minutes away from the hotel I stayed at and on the same road.

Just found my JBR - Restaurant name is "Tonge Tohme" near La Luna Hotel

Edited: 12:45 pm, June 08, 2013
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Chiang Rai

Hi Skeezix

Did you eat there? If not I will take my girls there and post a report this week.

Bruce

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Chiang Rai

No, Bruce, I had planned to, as it was just down the street from my hotel, but then got caught up in the Saturday Night Market and had street food instead.

Jermsak had recommended it to me a few months prior to my arrival in Chiang Rai, and said the food was very good.... so I'll be interested to see what you think after you've eaten there...

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Chiang Rai

Hi Skeezix,

I had an idea that it might be somewhere I ate a long time ago, I just took my two girls (the ones in my avatar there for lunch) and below is the report.

The restaurant is called Tong Tung

www.Facebook.com/tongtungchiangrai they say, but I haven't looked it up.

Open every day 10:00-14:00 and 17:00-22:00 with Northern Thai Folk dancing between 19:00 & 21:00.

It has a white wall front and is a few hundred yards towards town from LaLuna on the same side. Is set in a rustic style garden with two 40 seater wings in an L shape.

We arrived 1pm and were the third group of diners, the other groups being well to do Thais dressed up for the occasion. One table was a lucky Thai gentleman with 7 very elegant Thai ladies and the other table was Grandma, very elegant daughter with enormous diamante earing pendants and her young daughter. I was a bit out of place in shorts, but my girls always dress like fairies/cinderella and they fitted right in. Were he still alive, they could give Liberace a run for his money! No other diners arrived until we were leaving at 14:00 and they were turned away, a mother and son, both Thai.

We ordered....

Kra Tha Ron Ruam Mit. 160 baht

Sauté hot plate (Kra Tha means sizzling plate)

This came really sizzling and the clouds of steam/smoke stopped the other diners in their tracks. The vegetables and Luk-chin and the sauce was nicely caramelised. Tomatoes, onions, prawns, 3 different types of Luk-chin in an oyster and cashew nut sauce. As a rule, I don't like Luk-Chin (probably because I don't know how it's made, I think it is fish and flour) but this was very good.

Yum Cor Moo Yang 90 baht

Grilled pork neck salad, Yum means salad, Moo means Pork.

This was a typical thai Yum salad but unusually not too heavy on the chili's. the pork neck was extremely fatty but it was soft melt in your mouth fat and I loved it.

Kung Choop Pang Tod 120

Fried prawn & vegetable in tempura batter. Kung means Prawn, Tod means fried. Smaller portion than Aekocha, prawns were larger than in the hot plate and tasted a little bit old, possibly about to turn. No broccoli just prawns onion and pumpkin.

Yum Pla Muek 120

Now this wasn't on the Thai/English menu I had but it was on the Thai menu.

Spicy squid salad, Pla means fish and Muek is a modifier meaning Squid. Actually, I didn't want to order this, but my girls were not on their best behavious today and getting earache from all the pleases I acquiesced half way through the meal.

Same as the pork neck, my girls loved it but I was already full and try to avoid squid as I have a problem with my triglycerides.

We also had two portions of plain boiled rice. Now I am not a fan of plain boiled rice, but I have to say, this was the nicest plain white boiled rice I have ever had.

Coke, Sprite & Soda

Bill was 575 baht+ the tip I gave.

Overall, I would place this 3rd after Aekocha and Salunkham in that order. In terms of price, it's the most expensive and Salungkham is the cheapest.

For special occasions, it's probably the best. For families with children Aekocha is the best (mainly because of their enormous kids playground). For quality of food, Aekocha is the best. For the overall Thai dining experience probably Salungkham which gets more ordinary thai people, but for an evening out, the Northern Folk Dancing would make this a great special evening out. Quality of food, Aekocha is still my favourite. And if you are staying in LaLuna, it's probably the only place I would recommend in walking distance unless you like Hamburgers/Mexican food at Barry's World Glass Hamburgers in the other direction at the old air force golf club.

It's a hard life trying out these restaurants for you, but I guess someone has to do it. Just one question, where do I send the bill for reimbursement? ;-)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Chiang Rai

Stick it under my door mat and I'll get to it when I can! lol...

Thanks, Bruce, for the great review of Tong Tung... I'm sorry I didn't make it there now... will have to save it for my next visit. The food sounds great and the folk dancing is a nice touch. Glad you and your girls enjoyed it so much.

Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Chiang Rai

Hi Bruce, can I know where are the other 2 restaurants you mentioned located ?

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Chiang Rai

Hi flashpack,

Aekocha is over the new bridge from the police station, continue about 1.2km until you come to the first set of lights and turn left, it's on the left hand side after 700m opposite St. Mary's School. There is a large chrome railing outside it and a sign showing coaches.

Salunkham is on the old Phaholyothin Road (same road as Da Vinci's/Aye's etc), a perhaps 3km south of them and south of the turn off for Central/Robinsons and opposite the PTT garage.

My favourite is Aekocha.

Enjoy

Bruce

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in Chiang Rai

There you go, Broder - 3 nice restaurants to eat at while you're in Chiang Rai, although I imagine you've probably eaten at Aekocha and Salunkham.... I wish i had had more time during my visit to Chiang Rai in February, but have made note of Bruce's great info about these 3 restaurants, and will stash it away until I'm able to travel again. Hope you have a great trip. October will be here in no time!