We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got the guide now the tours...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
821 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Got the guide now the tours...

We're thrilled that Jermsak is available to guide us when we come to CR in November. I booked him for 2 days only but will this be "enough" as I am wondering whether we should do the overnight Mae Salong tour.

What are the favourite tours that you have done with Jermsak?

Thanks so much.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Got the guide now the tours...

Hi pacifictraveller,

My wisdom is pretty limited because we haven't met Jermsak and done the trips yet, but I'm excited to have booked him for a few days in November. We are doing the one-day raft trip and sight-seeing from Ch Rai, then a one day trip around Mae Salong, then another day of shorter sight-seeing around Mae Salong with a drive to the border at Chiang Khong to pick up our boat to Luang Prabang.

So - although we haven't done these trips with Jermsak yet, I know we're going to love every minute. And we are staying two nights in Mae Salong - decided it sounded like a place worth exploring and would love to wake up there and see it at our leisure. We're staying at the Little Home Guest House (recommended by Broder). If you're interested in staying there, the only way to book seems to be to ring them - this was easier than I thought, and we secured our booking in a few minutes after getting no response from teh online booking form.

Enjoy the planning!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
206 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Got the guide now the tours...

Great to hear you were able to secure Jermsak. I am excited for you and interested in seeing the responses. As for me:

I would do the raft trip because it is such a relaxing day. Not hurried at all. Perhaps this would be a great way to end your tours with Jermsak. Next I would go to Doi Mae Salong. The country is breathtaking and you get to see many different things. Tea plantations, the Chineses influence on the town, hill tribes, and the Queen Mother's summer home.

Each tour offers a glimpse at different parts of Northern Thailand and its people. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Hamzy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
821 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Got the guide now the tours...

Thanks Spopey and Hamzy.......

We are really looking forward to our time in Chiang Rai with Jermsak.

Spopey, so how long will you actually be in CR and Mae Salong? It sounds like exactly our type of trip too.

Hamzy, is Spopey's trip the same as what you are describing?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Got the guide now the tours...

I don't think two days is enough, and when you realize how much value Jermsak adds to your experience you will see why. I believe you should experience Jermsak's raft trip down the Me Kok because it lets you see and feel the country and the people from outside the usual tourist box. The overnight to Mae Salong is a must, for many of the same reasons. Although there are tourists in Mae Salong, it is far more traditional and authentic than many places in Thailand. Visiting the hill tribe villages is something you will not wish to miss. Jermsak will not guide you wrong. Take at least four days.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Got the guide now the tours...

Pacifictravvler1

My absolute favorite tour is the elephants in Ramit with Jermsak. He gets them to take you off the beaten path and into the jungle. It's definitely and adventure! I also very much enjoyed the raft trip. It's a very relaxing way o spend your day, not to ention Da, Jermsaks wife is an amazing cook and will make you a delightful lunch!

Safe Travels

C0travlr

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Got the guide now the tours...

Oh what a hard question to answer.

I would have to say my favorite days are:

1. A trip to Ruammit that includes an elephant ride through the jungle (not on the road or pathways) that is followed by the river raft trip. I have done this trip many, many times with different groups of friends or family and I never tire of it. The raft trip is stunningly beautiful, relaxing and gives you a look into life off the tourist route (though you do see the long tail boats going by with groups of tourists).

2. The day, with an overnight, to Mae Salong. At times I wish I had kept Mae Salong more of a secret and not posted it on TA, as the TA posts have certainly attracted more tourists to Mae Salong. It is hard to describe Mae Salong, other than to say it is peaceful, tranquil and a lovely place to visit. You step back in time. Every time I take family or friends with me, the first response is "I could spend a month here." Some day I plan to do exactly that. You'll find me sitting on the front porch of a bungalow at Little Home Guest House just letting the days pass by.

3. Driving from Mae Sai to Doi Tung on the border road between Thailand and Burma. A fabulous trip for anyone who enjoys scenery, photography and is interested in the history of the area. Not many guides will travel the road, as it can be rough on a vehicle, but Jermsak does do this trip.

I think two days is too short if you plan to get outside of Chiang Rai to see the surrounding area, which is what gives you real insight into the far north of Thailand. But then again, it depends on how much you would enjoy the more rural aspects of the country.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
206 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Got the guide now the tours...

Yes, it is pretty close.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Got the guide now the tours...

Hi pacifictraveller,

We'll be in Chiang Rai for three nights, staying at Baan Nattawadee, having caught the VIP bus from Ch Mai. The day with Jermsak will be our middle day in CR, the other full day we'll spend wandering around on our own. Then we have two nights in Mae Salong, but again, want to have a little time without a guide, so will spend our first afternoon in MS just wandering, then meet up with Jermsak on our second day there. On that day he will take us around Lisu and Akha villages and some tea plantations, among other places. Then the next day he'll drive us to the border at Chiang Khong, after a drive around the golden triangle. We're happy to leave the planning to Jermsak, because by all accounts he can be relied upon to provide a wonderful experience. That final day's drive to Chiang Khong at the border is something I'm really looking forward to, because the scenery sounds beautiful up along the borders with Burma and Laos.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
821 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Got the guide now the tours...

Thanks for that Spopey.....

So we arrive on the night of the 5th November... and planned to leave CR on Sunday the 10th for CM.

How would you divide the time? I just came across an ATV tour which also looks great....I'm sure my husband would love that one.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
821 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Got the guide now the tours...

Broder, based on your 3 recommendations how would you organize the tours/days?Jermsak will be our guide.

We arrive on Tuesday night 5th November and must leave for Chiang Mai by Sunday the 10th November.

I'd also love to be able to go to the Saturday night markets...if possible.

Thanks.