We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

Hi

I will be flying BKK to Chiang Rai. I want to get to Chiang Khong for an overnight stay before taking the slow boat to Luang Prabang.

Would I need to book transport, either a bus ticket or a car and driver, before I land at Chiang Rai airport, or is this easily arranged once I arrive in Chiang Rai.

I am considering staying at Rai Saeng Arun , 2 Moo 3 Baan Pakhub Tambon Rimkong, Chiang Khong.

Any words of advice and shared knowledge appreciated.

Regards

Gale

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

Thanks for your words Graham.

The lack of rush in the morning appeals. So does the suggestion of a cushion. Thank you.

I am thinking, being June and rainy season, possibly less tourists about, I can make this bit up as we get there. I guess the border/ visa office closes at a certain time in the afternoon or early evening, will look into that to be sure though.

I am counting down the days...... 24 days from now and I will be on my way. Have heaps to do between now and then and the time is moving swiftly. Self imposed pressure, have to finish getting our winter crops in on the farm first.

Regards

22. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:43 am, October 30, 2013
Edited: 2:43 am, October 30, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

Hi Graham

Thanks for the tip re Monsovan.

Canola, barley & wheat in that order. Hope to see some rice crops/fields in my travels. Not sure, it might be rice sowing season in June??

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

Hi

In BKK presently, fly to Chiang Rai tomorrow morn.

Wondering if the info paulosussex shared back in January re buses to Chiang Khong is still the same.

Regards

Gale

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

Hey G-Day Gale M, hows the holiday going?

Here's a post that should help.

It has a May 10/13 date on it, so it's recent info on that bus ride.

How To Get From Chiang Rai To Chiang Khong

By : bkkguy 10 May 2013

renegadetravels.com/how-to-get-from-chiang-r…

The bus looks like fun, but! you keep your head down.

I don't like the look of that air conditioning very much.

I notice all the locals have short hair.

Have fun Gale M

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

Hi Gale,

Yes, still the same.

Cheers

The Entrance...
Level Contributor
505 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

Hi Gale,

Looking forward to hearing about your trip

Kristie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

Hi All

Thanks paulosussex and inaspin.

Flew from BKK to Chiang Rai on the 7.55am Air Asia flight this morn. Journey from Sukhumvit Soi 1 to DMK airport at 5.30am was a bit short of half hour. Easy check in at airport with some time for a coffee, water and relax.

Couldn't find a meter taxi at CR airport and went to a bunch of guys in blue shirts holding a airport taxi sign. Got a lift to bus station in what turned out to be a private car rather than a taxi.

Took the public bus from stand 4 at bus station to Chiang Khong, a little over 2 hours. Great trip, ample room in the bus and a scenic view in between dozing on and off. Bus cost 65 B each for husband and I.

Now what you mean about the aircon inaspin :) Had the windows opened and enjoyed the breeze that way. Didn't feel like we suffered at all without air on and would recommend this mode of travel between CR and CK to all. It was all pretty easy and seamless really, except for going for the airport taxi rather than a meter taxi where we probably paid too much. But no big deal, just part of travel in an unfamiliar place.

Thanks again for all your words and advice.

Regards

Gale

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

Thanks for the update Gale, we feel like we're on the bus with you guys.

Your actually blazing the trail for us, come March next year.

Don't worry too much about the taxi at the airport, the metered taxis are only a new innovation in Chiang Rai, in the past everyone dealt with the guys in blue.

The bus ride is an event we'll look forward to.

Have fun

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong

TA has given me so much and it's nice to be able to share inaspin.

Loving Chiang Khong, enjoying the banks of the Mekong and river views. If I wasn't on a schedule I'd stay 2 nights in Chiang Khong. The place has a friendly atmosphere and feels relaxed after the frantic pace of Bangkok. It's 3.30pm and street food vendors are beginning to line the street. Looking fwd to heading out to wander and sample some different foods after a relax at the hotel.

Cheers